Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working and raising kids as a foreigner 2014/9/21 05:21
So I have had it set in my plans that I will be going to work and live in Japan in the future, however the idea of raising children has also crossed my mind. This leaves me with the questions of is there any practicality to these children while working and also being a foreigner?

I've thought about different scenarios regarding this in terms of timing and such: them being born before departure, after arrival, and not at all (during my stay [several years] in Japan).

I've already looked into the cost of raising children in Japan I'm more so wondering about the overall practicality of it. Would it be considered rude if I was required to take time off work to care for the children, ect? Especially as a non native person being essentially paid to be there.
by EvilCrash  

Re: Working and raising kids as a foreigner 2014/9/21 10:59
If you come for a few years' assignment (contract based) and then ask to take several months of it for raising children, that would unfortunately mean end of your contract, I must say.

Even among local working mothers, even among those that have full-time employee status (no employment term set), getting time off properly for children is a big challenge (unless at major companies well prepared and funded to care better for their employees' welfare).

Also.. you say "several years," but are you planning a career in Japan, or just a few years here then going back to your country and your career back home? If your idea is to return to your home country eventually, then I might suggest keeping your adventure in Japan and settling down separate.

It sounds like your spouse is not in the picture, but talk it over with him too.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread