Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

1.5 days in Kyoto? 2014/9/22 11:27
Hi, I've been to Kyoto once before and spent an inordinate amount of time on buses (and still didn't make it to inari shrine somehow) so this time I would like to confirm so I can hit all the temples (we will have a total of 4 people). Technically on a budget, but since we're on a time crunch, would taxis be a better use of our money based on our schedule?
Arriving Nov 18 leaving Nov 20 for 10am flight at KIX.

Arrive 3pm from Tokyo on Day 1:

-Go to hotel and after checking in walk to Nishiki Market to look around(Karasuma Kyoto Hotel, I've walked it before but with 2 older parents, would it be better to taxi or bus?)

-Higashiyama District (taxi? bus? I know things might be closed, depending on how long we walk through the Nishiki market)
- Kiyomizudera since it's open for night illuminations at 6:30
-Gion walk around and dinner (bus? or taxi? from Kiyomizudera)

Day 2
- Inari shrine (train) early 7:30am?
- Tokufiji temple (train)
- Sanjusangendo (train)
- Arashiyama (train? I have to go back to Kyoto station and take the JR I think)
-Kitano Tenmangu Shrine (night illuminations, and I think this is a train also?)

I think that's all that will fit? Any spots I should take out, add, or switch? What are some food spots we shouldn't miss?

We are leaving for KIX in the morning for our 10am flight and if we catch the first Haruna at 6am, will we be ok?
by ami (guest)  

Re: 1.5 days in Kyoto? 2014/9/22 12:41
Technically on a budget, but since we're on a time crunch, would taxis be a better use of our money based on our schedule?

Yes, taxis will be both fast and somewhat economical since you are travelling with 4 people.

Go to hotel and after checking in walk to Nishiki Market to look around(Karasuma Kyoto Hotel, I've walked it before but with 2 older parents, would it be better to taxi or bus?)

It's about 600 meters, or 10-15 mins. Taxi would make it easier and would be pretty cheap. Whether you need a taxi depends on how much walking your parents can handle.

-Higashiyama District (taxi? bus? I know things might be closed, depending on how long we walk through the Nishiki market)

Higashiyama shuts down very early in the day. I don't expect you'll make it there with much sightseeing time.

- Kiyomizudera since it's open for night illuminations at 6:30
-Gion walk around and dinner (bus? or taxi? from Kiyomizudera)

Maybe walk through Higashiyama and then taxi from Kiyomizu to Gion. Otherwise you just backtrack almost the entire way.

Day 2
- Inari shrine (train) early 7:30am?
- Tokufiji temple (train)
- Sanjusangendo (train)
- Arashiyama (train? I have to go back to Kyoto station and take the JR I think)
-Kitano Tenmangu Shrine (night illuminations, and I think this is a train also?)

Train is good for those sites. I'd consider taxi between Kitanohakubaicho Station and Kitano Tenmangu. It's only about 500 meters, but after a long day you may appreciate not having to walk.

We are leaving for KIX in the morning for our 10am flight and if we catch the first Haruna at 6am, will we be ok?

Yes, that should be ok.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: 1.5 days in Kyoto? 2014/9/26 04:35

Higashiyama shuts down very early in the day. I don't expect you'll make it there with much sightseeing time.

- Do you recommend skipping Higashiyama and doing something else?

Maybe walk through Higashiyama and then taxi from Kiyomizu to Gion. Otherwise you just backtrack almost the entire way.

-I'm confused on this point, I remember passing Higashiyama on the way back but are you saying that we should hitch a taxi from Kiyo to Gion because there's no need to walk/go that way?
by ami (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1.5 days in Kyoto? 2014/10/17 06:16
So we are doing the JR Pass now so we have a more flexible schedule, but we are staying around Higashikujo Kawanishi in Kyoto.

Day one

9:30am arrival in Kyoto-

Eat at train station or nishiki market (taxi? we have 4 people)

Then do this itinerary? http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3950_eastern_kyoto_full.html

Since Kiyomizudera is open at 18:30 because of night illuminations. Except I didn't think Ginkakuji was that impressive, so may skip that and start with the Philosopher's Path (will it be too cold in November? I remember it being chilly but that not bad 50 ish?). Depending on how my aunt feels (not in good physical shape) may cut most of the temples on this route after the path and only hit Eikando or something like that and take a cab from there to Kiyomizudera

Then cab to eat dinner at Gion or Pontocho. (Hm Kyoto Sushi?)

Then cab back to lodging place? (is the a place where I can estimate how much the fare would cost?)

I want to cram Inari in there especially if we're skipping temples, but I heard that's a bit scary.

Day 2

(where to eat for breakfast?)
8am: Tokufiji temple (walk from lodgings)
9am: (walk/cab to) Tokufiji station to Kyoto to Umahori JR Station, walk to Kameoka Torokko take Sagano romantic train. (Unless sold out then straight to Arashiyama)
9:45am: Arashiyama - cab to Daikakuji Temple ?
11am: cab to Tenryuji temple to eat Buddist monk fare? (3000 yen lunch set)
12pm: explore bamboo groves and Tenryuji temple
1pm: Jojakkoji Temple
2pm cab back to Arashiyama station, do foot bath (ashiyu?)
3pm JR Pass use to Fushimi Inari
5pm: Eat somewhere? Kyoto station?
6pm: Leave for Tokyo

How's that? The last train to Tokyo is at 8:40pm (hotel is right by Ebisu from Shinagawa on Yamanote line) so there is a bit of time buffer in there as well.

by ami (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread