Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cell phone use & internet/cable connection 2014/9/23 23:57
I was hired to teach English for a year starting in spring 2015. The company has given me a lot of information, but I would love to hear from others who have visited or lived in Japan too.

CELL PHONES...

I'm from the US and unlimited text and datas plans are huge. The majority of people I know, especially those at work, have unlimited text and data plans with limited talking minutes (300-600 minutes) because we are always texting and using data. If we need something, instead of calling someone we text or send an email.

Is unlimited texting and data a big thing in Japan too? My friend in Japan says he and his coworkers rarely make calls, send regular text messages, or even emails. Instead they use apps like Line, Whatsapp, etc. I'm curious as to what the norm cell phone usage/plans are in Japan?

My company told me I would need a cell phone that has some talking minutes so that work can call me if they need to.

As for socializing, is regular texting really not popular? If so and they use texting apps instead, you would still need a good data plan, yes?

INTERNET & CABLE...

The company told me that even though the apartment is internet ready, it could take up to two months to actually get internet. Is there any way around this or no? If not, I'm not too worried.

I am curious as to how many of you have cable? In college and now as a graduate the majority of people I know only have internet connections because they just connect their laptops to the TV and play Hulu, Netflix, etc.
by spring2015 (guest)  

Re: Cell phone use & internet/cable connection 2014/9/24 11:25
Is unlimited texting and data a big thing in Japan too?

Yes, and is typically required for smartphone plans.

My friend in Japan says he and his coworkers rarely make calls, send regular text messages, or even emails. Instead they use apps like Line, Whatsapp, etc. I'm curious as to what the norm cell phone usage/plans are in Japan?

A typical smartphone plan includes unlimited data/texts and free tethering (with a 7gb/mo overall cap before you get slowed down). Calling is not included and typically costs around 40 yen/min outgoing, incoming is free. All said and done you can expect monthly bills around 7000-10000 yen including the cost of the handset.

My company told me I would need a cell phone that has some talking minutes so that work can call me if they need to.

All voice plans include free incoming calls.

As for socializing, is regular texting really not popular? If so and they use texting apps instead, you would still need a good data plan, yes?

It depends on what you consider "regular texting". SMS is not all that popular because it costs money. MMS is the standardized way of texting in Japan and most people either use that exclusively or in addition to texting apps like Line.

The company told me that even though the apartment is internet ready, it could take up to two months to actually get internet. Is there any way around this or no? If not, I'm not too worried.

Two months seems excessive. Should really just be a few weeks from when you order it.

I am curious as to how many of you have cable? In college and now as a graduate the majority of people I know only have internet connections because they just connect their laptops to the TV and play Hulu, Netflix, etc.

Cable is not all that popular and is expensive. There are internet tv plans you can get with your broadband service that are affordable and have English channels. Japanese Hulu is ok, but has a more limited library than US Hulu. You can't get Netflix or US Hulu without using a vpn or some sort of ip spoofing service, etc.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Cell phone use & internet/cable connection 2014/9/25 09:03
Wow, thank you yllwsmrf!!

You answered everything I needed to know!

I am surprised about not being able to get US Netflix or Hulu though. I figured as long as I brought my computer and hooked it up to the internet the websites would work. Thanks for the heads up!
by spring2015 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread