Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Debt or bankruptcy affecting living in Japan? 2014/9/27 05:46
I am currently in the process of applying for a work visa in Japan. However, I have a lot of unpaid debt to places in America (mostly hospitals) for matters beyond my control. I have been trying to pay these debts for years, but the many of the companies are not willing to negotiate payment plans very much. I am considering bankruptcy, but haven't decided yet. I am also planning to try to find a better paying job for the time being.

My question is, if I do apply for bankruptcy, will that prevent me from entering and working and residing in Japan? I have some money, just not enough to pay all my debts, so I could still pay to go to Japan and all if I get this visa.

Or, if I don't do bankruptcy, but continue to try to earn money to pay off the debts as much as possible, will I be allowed to enter and work in Japan even though I have a lot of debt in America? And would it possible to America to force me to return against my will because of the debt?
by YakobuNihon  

Re: Debt or bankruptcy affecting living in Japan? 2014/10/1 19:11
I'm not American, so I can't tell you how with respect to the US' policies. But from where I am, if I were to be declared bankrupt, I will not be allowed to travel aboard or leave the country unless with written permission. I guess that sort of explains whether bankruptcy affects going to Japan or not (much less, working and living there).

To quote an answer which I agree as well;

"Keep in mind that the country you're immigrating or traveling to may or may not take your previous bankruptcy into consideration when applying for a visa.

Many countries are less concerned with your financial history and care more about whether you can support yourself going forward, while others may deny a visa solely based on a recent bankruptcy.

If you've been through bankruptcy or have debt judgments against you, it's best to seek the advice of a qualified immigration attorney who knows the laws of your destination country."

Hopefully someone from the US can help clarify on this one, or you can try finding out more though local policies/law and regulations websites - or better get an attorney.
by Murakami Seirin rate this post as useful

reply to this thread