Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

6 Days Toyoko to Hakone to Kyoto Itinerary 2014/10/1 10:16
This is my plan for my 6 days trip, please give me suggestions and let me know if it works!!! Thank you so much!!!

Day 1: arrive at 4:30pm NRT Airport, stay in Tokyo at night

Day 2. Tokyo - Hakone
Transfer to Tokyo station and board a Shinkansen Kodama super express for Odawara leaving between 08:20 and 10:00. Arrive at Odawara station between 9:00-10:40. Explore the place and stay at hotel ( I am not sure about the transportation from the station to the hotel. Also, any good onsen suggestions for family of 5? It seems like hard to find room that fit odd numbers of adults, many of them just for two)

Day 3: Hakone - Kyoto - Nara - Kyoto
After breakfast then transfer to Kyoto station and board a Shinkansen Kodama super express for Kyoto leaving between 9:30 and 11:30. Arrive at Kyoto station between 12:40 - 14:40. Transfer to hotel in Kyoto.

Take the afternoon tour to Nara ( how to get there from Kyoto? Bus? Train?. Visit Todaiji Temple, the world's largest wooden structure and home to a great image of Buddha, the colorful Kasuga Taisha Shrine with its 3,000 stone lanterns, and Nara Park, where a tamed herd of sacred deer freely roam amidst the sightseers. Return to Kyoto.

Day 4: Kyoto
Visit Kinkakuji Temple, called the Golden Pavilion for its glittering walls, the Nijo Castle, noted for its gorgeous interiors, and the elegant Kyoto Imperial Palace.

Enjoy lunch, after visiting Sanjusangendo Temple with its 1,001 impressive images of Buddha, the vermilion-hued Heian Jingu Shrine, and the Kiyomizudera Temple, featuring spectacular views from its wooden veranda.

(how to travel around in Kyoto to different sightseeing places? is it walking distance?)

Day 5: Kyoto - Tokyo
Depart from Kyoto Station with Shinkansen Nozomi super express train back to Tokyo.

Is my plan possible? Would it be too rush? Also, should I get the JR 7 days pass? Is it workable to my plan with the 7 days pass? Also, do you have any accommodation suggestions that close to the JR stations that good for family of 5 adult in Tokyo, Hakone, and Kyoto? It will take 3 hours from Tokyo to Kyoto right? What is the earliest train time from Tokyo to Kyoto and from Kyoto to Tokyo?

Thank you so much!!!!Please help!!
by Vleef2000  

Re: 6 Days Toyoko to Hakone to Kyoto Itinerary 2014/10/1 12:16
From my own experience I would say that day 3 will be to cramped. TodaiJi closes at 17.00.
Day 4 on your list is possible, and I would advise to take the bus, subway or bicycle to get around. Walking is possible but is to time consuming for this particular program. I have no personal experience with Hakone.

More information about Nara and Kyoto on my page http://www.rtp72.eu in the Japan section. Enjoy Japan!
by fareastcityhopper rate this post as useful

Re: 6 Days Toyoko to Hakone to Kyoto Itinerary 2014/10/1 12:30
Hyperdia will help you work out what times trains get you to and from places: http://www.hyperdia.com/

I agree that you might be pushing it with Nara after arriving in Kyoto (a train to nara from kyoto takes roughly an hour). I would use that afternoon to check out nijo-jo, kiyomizudera or other temples within kyoto. If you really wanted to do Nara, I would suggest a half day the next day, going there first thing in the morning (Todaiji is open from around 8am), then coming back to kyoto and visiting other sites.
by mon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 6 Days Toyoko to Hakone to Kyoto Itinerary 2014/10/1 15:30
Thank you so much!!!! I think i will do some switch and maybe skip Nara depends on the time.
by vivian (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 6 Days Toyoko to Hakone to Kyoto Itinerary 2014/10/1 15:49
When will you visit?
Hakone start to dark from 4-5pm during Autamn & Winter.
I think Day 2 is very rush itinerary and you cannot enjoy Hakone.
If you will not visit any famous spots, it is OK.

Regarding JR pass, I think the transportation budget become almost same price following comparing site.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/JR-PassKintetsu-Pass-vs-Single-Ticket/5...

Regarding Accomodation, you can find many Hotels near Tokyo & Kyoto. But Hakone main spot is not near JR station.
Please be careful Hakone Yumoto & Hakone.
Hakone Yumoto is near train station. but it is far from main Hakone famous spots like a Lake Ashi.
by Ng ivan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread