Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR West Kansai Pass 2014/10/3 00:43
I am going to Osaka at the end of October for 5 days four nights. I am planning to visit Osaka, Nara, Kyoto, and may be some mountain areas and Kobe.

I would like to ask if I purchase a four day Kansai pass, will I make any saving for the whole trip.

Does the JR West Kansai Pass cover local train ride as well.

On my last day, I need to catch 8:30A.M. flight. I am planning to stay near JR Nambo station. Do you think that I can catch the earliest train from Nambo station to Kansai Airport by using the JR West Kansai pass?
by bobby2014  

Re: JR West Kansai Pass 2014/10/3 14:52
Hi there.

For your trip, I would not suggest getting the Kansai area Pass. It only covers JR trains in the region excluding the Shinkansen so will be hard to make pay off for the amount you will be using it.

I would instead suggest that you purchase the 3 day Kansai Thru Pass and the ICOCA and Haruka Return Package.

The ICOCA and Haruka package costs 4060 yen and gives you a return transfer to/from Kansai Airport on JR Haruka Limited Express and JR Airport Rapid Trains. The pass also includes an ICOCA card with 2000 yen value on it which you can use on all trains and some buses in Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe etc. The card can be topped up if required.

This will give you a good way to get around and see Osaka on your first day. Any other information about the pass can be found on Japan Guide.

I would also suggest getting the 3 Day Kansai Thru Pass. It can be purchased at Kansai Airport and costs 5200 yen.

It can be used on the following:
Subways of Osaka, Kyoto and Kobe
Hankyu Railways (Kobe - Osaka - Kyoto)
Hanshin Railways (Kobe - Osaka)
Keihan Railways (Osaka - Kyoto)
Kintetsu Railways (Osaka - Kyoto - Nara)
Nankai Railways (Osaka - Kansai Airport - Koyasan)
Sanyo Railways (Kobe - Himeji)
Keifuku Railways (Kyoto)
Nose Railways (North of Osaka)
Kobe Railways (North of Kobe)
Osaka Monorail (Northern Osaka, Itami Airport)
Kobe Kosoku Railways (Kobe)
Port and Rokko Liner (Kobe)
Various cablecars (Hieizan, Koyasan)
A few more minor railway lines

So the pass really does pay off as these companies will get you everywhere you want to go. And the only bad thing is that the Kansai Thru pass cant be used on JR trains, but you will have the ICOCA which can.

My Suggestion would be:

Day 1: Arrive and purchase ICOCA and Haruka and Kansai Thru Pass. predate the pass to start on day 2. Spend remaining day in Osaka.
Day 2 - Day 4: Use the Kansai Thru Pass to travel around and see what you wish to see.
Day 5: Use the return ticket from the ICOCA and Haruka package to return to Kansai Airport.

As for trying to make the 8:30 flight, Yiur best bet would be:

5:12am JR Yamatoji Line Local to JR Tennoji
Transfer
5:37am JR Airport Rapid to Kansai Airport
6:21am arrive Kansai Airport
This wil be covered by your ICOCA and Haruka pass

Hope this helps
by Main777 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR West Kansai Pass 2014/10/4 01:10
Thank you very much for your suggestions!
by bobby2014 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread