Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone Route in Reverse 2014/10/7 18:59
Can someone explain to me how to do the Hakone route in reverse?

We are travelling end of November and I presume there would be a lot of people doing the "normal" route during this period as it is the autumn season.

We have 2 kids and I think waiting in queue will not be ideal for us. Can someone explain point-by-point on how to do it?

For example, do we take the bus from Odawara or Hakone-Yumato? What buses can we take and where do we drop off if we take the ferry next? Are there any interesting and kid-friendly things we can do on the route?

We have booked an overnight stay in a ryokan in Hakone. Do you think we can complete the route by 6pm in time for our dinner meal?

We are starting off from Tokyo after the morning rush hour and taking the JR train to Odawara.

by Bart (guest)  

Re: Hakone Route in Reverse 2014/10/8 11:15
I think the reverse loop is not exactly unpopular since the Japanese phamphlets recommend it.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5210.html

1. Take the train from Odawara to Hakone-Yumoto.

2. Take the bus from Hakone-Yumoto to Moto-Hakone (can recall what bus is that but you can ask when you're there).

3. Take the boat from Moto-Hakone to Togendai (unless you prefer to hike along the trail to Hakone-machi before embarking on the boat ride).

4. At Togendai, take the Ropeway to Owakudani (there are shops/restaurants there to walk around other than the crater).

5. Continue on the Ropeway to Souzan to take the Cablecar to Gora.

6. From Gora, take the train back to Hakone-Yumoto. At Hakone-Yumoto, you can walk along the single street to two rows of shops facing each other, where local produce like pickles are sold.

Not sure about kid-friendly things, maybe the Little Prince Musuem.

Yes, I think you can complete the route before 6pm if you start by late morning and don't visit too many places along the way.
by CLLR rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Route in Reverse 2014/10/8 17:16
Oh thanks very much. That was quite helpful. I was hoping the reverse route would have fewer people as it doesn't start off first on a scenic train ride. I heard it can be quite a large crowd with long queues in between the points of travel, not something I want to experience with 2 kids in tow.

I will try to make it for the Prince Museum, but is the Gora Open Air Museum recommended too for children?

by Bart (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Route in Reverse 2014/10/9 02:16
Onshi Park hill top between Moto-Hakone and Hakone-Machi ports is a good place to view Mt. Fuji on a clear day.
Also, the up rope way from Togendai is a good way to see the Mt. Fuji but the rope way cables obscure the view. The down rope way ride give clear view. You can still see from Owakudani ropeway station or it's top restaurant.
Kids can run around in the bird park next to Togendai port.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Route in Reverse 2014/10/9 10:46
Doing the circuit in reverse means you see Mt Fuji before the build up of anticipation from the train, ropeway and cable car but ealier in the day the view to Mt Fuji can be clearer.

We did the clockwise circuit with a 5 year old and definitely recommend the Open Air Muesum as there are great things to see and some sculptures kids can climb on. There is a cool foot onsen that kids can use and loads of space to run around or have a picnic.

Also the black hardboiled eggs are great at the Mt Fuji view area.
by Nasum (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Route in Reverse 2014/10/9 11:34
I don't think there really is a choice for us. There is perhaps an off-chance that the reverse route will have fewer people which means less queuing for us which means less disgruntled, bored kids. I am hoping we can see the beauty of Mt Fuji from the ship followed by panoramic views from the ropeway.

We will do our best to see the Prince and Open air museum if it means a nice little break in between for us but in the end we need to make sure we can reach our ryokan by 6pm. I gather they are quite strict on this policy if you have a dinner plan with your stay.
by Bart (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread