Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Christmas in Hokkaido 2014/10/17 18:50
Hi experts,

i am planning a trip to Hokkaido this Xmas from 20th to the 31st December.

I will be flying in from Tokyo to New Chitose at 1300hrs on 20th.

I have 2 sets of itinerary in mind hopefully you guys can give me some advice. I have been to Japan alot of times but this is my first to Hokkaido... I do not know if any of the places i have on my list is opened or available during end Dec period... appreciate your kind advice! thks!!

Route1:
Day 1: Airport to Otaru
Day 2: Otaru to Niseko
Day 3: Niseko to Lake Toya
Day 4: Lake Toya to Hakodate
Day 5: Hakodate to Noboribetsu
Day 6: Norboribetsu to Sapporo
Day 7: Sapporo to Asahikawa Zoo to Sounkyo
Day 8: Sounkyo
Day 9: Sounkyo to Sapporo
Day 10: Sapporo
Day 11: Sapporo to Tokyo @ 12pm flight

Route 2
Day 1: Airport to Otaru to Sapporo
Day 2: Sapporo to Kamikawa to Sounkyo to Abashiri
Day 3: Abashiri to Utoro
Day 4: Utoro to Mashu to Kushiro
Day 5: Kushiro to Lake Toya via Date Monbetsu
Day 6: Lake Toya to Hakodate
Day 7: Hakodate to Noboribestsu
Day 8: Noboribetsu to Niseko
Day 9: Niseko to Sapporo
Day 10: Sapporo
Day 11: Sapporo to Tokyo @ 12pm flight

by martian09 (guest)  

Re: Christmas in Hokkaido 2014/10/17 19:35
The amount of places you attempt to do with such a short time is mind boggling. You will probably be on train most the time without any time to explore the places you intend to go.

That said, my trip to Hokkaido is next year, but your round 2 is rather similar to my itinerary but in steroid version.

Have you checked the journey on Hyperdia? Hokkaido has no Shinkansen so traveling time is a lot longer as compared to main island.

Eg. Sapporo to Abashiri is about 300minutes + trip assuming you do not make any side stop on the way, trains are not as frequent in Hokkaido as main island too, eg. Sapporo-Abashiri 7:21Am OKHOTSK 1, next OKHOTSK 3 is at 9:41AM. In other words, you should be aware of train schedule if you plan to stop along the way.

Abashiri to Utoro, 50minutes - 60minutes from Abashiri to Shireteko-shari, and bus from Shari to Utoro, the bus is not that frequent too, so be sure to check the schedule here (there was only 4 bus that I take note of, 8:40AM, 11:30AM,15:50PM, 17:50PM,)
http://www.sharibus.co.jp/
A few of the JR arrive 5-10minutes before the bus to Utoro departs, so be sure to check the schedule. Eg. JR Senmo from Abashiri arrive at Shari at 11:25AM, while Norokko arrive at 11:22AM.

Your round 1 seems a little better, but I would probably do Otaru - Niseko - Hakodate - Lake Toya - Noboribetsu - etc

by vinces7 rate this post as useful

Re: Christmas in Hokkaido 2014/10/18 20:47
Thks for the advice... I have checked on the schedules and it did looked kinda ambitious. But the main worry actually is if there are any activities during December for utoro and a abashiri area as most of the activities are around Feb... Hahha..
by martian09 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Christmas in Hokkaido 2014/10/18 22:11
Yea, I did not pay attention to December activities, but Abashiri probably the Prison Museum and most importantly the Aurora ship for drift ice, and then Norokko train.

For Utoro, probably just the Ekinomichi the stones and the lighting, not much else in Winter.

Re: Christmas in Hokkaido 2014/10/18 22:17
Sadly there is no aroura drift ice in December... So most prob I will head for lake Akan after sounkyo gorge... Anyone knows the way there? Planning is fun but sometimes a real headache! Hahha

Re: Christmas in Hokkaido 2014/10/18 22:37
Lake Akan probably easiest to access from Kushiro, I decided not to go this trip due to time constraint and will be rushed to fit into my itinerary. As for Sounkyo, I just overlook it entirely, so no idea... but probably take train from Abashiri to Kushiro then bus to Akan, not sure if there is bus running from Abashiri though.. i will check later.

I actually want to go to Obihiro for the Banba racing, again it is too rush and i have no time for it.... You could drop by there if you want when going back to Sapporo, if you have time.

Re: Christmas in Hokkaido 2014/10/19 09:10
As for Sounkyo, I just overlook it entirely, so no idea... but probably take train from Abashiri to Kushiro then bus to Akan, not sure if there is bus running from Abashiri though.. i will check later.

That's a huge detour. Fastest way by train is to go via Abashiri, but note that it is still extremely time consuming.

There's also a direct bus between Akan and Sounkyo. It takes just as long as the train but is considerably cheaper:

http://www.lake-akan.com/en/access/sunrise.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Christmas in Hokkaido 2014/10/19 13:09
Seems you can use Dohoku Bus,
サンライズ旭川・釧路号
道北バス本社・旭川駅前・上川駅前・層雲峡 - 津別 - 阿寒湖畔・阿寒町・釧路駅前・阿寒バス本社(阿寒バスと共同運行)

http://www.akanbus.co.jp/express/asahikawa.html
http://www.dohokubus.com/pdf/14s-kushiro.pdf

Re: Christmas in Hokkaido 2014/10/19 22:41
IMO Kushiro and Abashiri is too far and takes so many hours of day train time as there is no night train to these 2 destination and in Winter the day is shorter.

Last June i was planning to try for the night bus to either one of these city from Sapporo but the tickets were sold out even when i asked the counter 5days before my planned departure date. Yes, booking by phone might help, but i cant speak Japanese =__=
I extended my Asahikawa stop instead and had lots of fun there exploring
by ejump0 rate this post as useful

Re: Christmas in Hokkaido 2014/10/20 10:59
Thks everyone for your comments!!
I think I will most prob stick to Route 1 and save the Eastern part for my next trip.

on a side note, are there nice ryokans with good views and onsens to recommend?

I came across a Yunokawa Prince Nagisatei hotel in Hakodate and each room has a private onsen overlooking the sea!! fabulous!

Re: Christmas in Hokkaido 2014/10/20 12:51
I booked with Hakodate Kokusai Hotel with ocean view, not sure if it is good, i just thought it is reasonably near to JR station.

For Onsen, I booked with Noboribetsu Mahoroba, not sure if it is good but we are running low on budget after Shiretoko stay and plan for Night train etc. From what I gathered, Takinoya seems to be more expensive stay in Noboribetsu.

I checked Yunokawa Prince Nagisatei, first thing that surprised me there is no ACCESS button to check where the place is... With google, it is a little far from everything else..

Re: Christmas in Hokkaido 2014/10/20 12:54
Actually, is there anything to visit during winter in Sounkyo?

Most my guides recommend visits on Autumn, so not much information for Winter.

reply to this thread