Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

unreserved seats 2014/10/26 14:30
Please could I have some advice on 3 proposed train travels, with JR Passes, using UNreserved seats.
We have not ever travelled without reservations in the past, but these 3 trips may not be easily booked in advance.

1. We plan a day trip from Nagasaki to Okawachiyama, on Sunday March 29, and Hyperdia list options to and from Arita on a combination of the local Sasebo line and the Limited Express Midori/Kamome. We shall reserve seats on the morning ride on the Kamome until we need to change for local train for the journey to Arita.
BUT A. which cars would be unreserved and non-smoking on the Kamome for a return journey?
B. is this train likely to be booked out in an afternoon return: it does not run frequently, and we are reliant on the infrequent Sasebo line from Arita initially to make any connections: it is a problematic trip, this one!
C. one option on Hyperdia lists the Midori to Saga, then the Kamome from Saga to Nagaski, with a curly blue T in an orange square: do I assume we would just stay on the train at Saga in the same seats?
D. Should we just gbite the bullet: limit our time and just plan by making reservations anyway?

2. We also plan a day trip from Osaka to Himeji Castle and then onto Mt Shosa on Thursday April 2
Reserving the seats from Shin Osaka to Himeji is fine: we plan going early
but again, we have no idea what time we will get back to Himeji for a return to ShinOsaka
A. which cars are unreserved and non-smoking on Hikari/Sakura/Kodama trains?
B. are the Shinkansens unreserved cars likely to be full in the mid-afternoon on a weekday (ie between 3pm and 4pm) at Himeji to ShinOsaka if we donft make reservations?
I am also aware that they are fairly frequent, so if we just miss one again I guess we could then go and make a reservation for the next.

3. Finally, we plan a day trip from Shinagawa via Odawara to do the Hakone round course in April, on either Monday 13, or Tuesday 14th; but will only go if the weather looks OK on the day: hence,
A: on the 9.04am Shinkansen Kodama from Shinagawa to Odawara, which cars would be unreserved and NON smoking?
B. is it likely we could get 3 seats (would not need to be together) at that time?
C. are Kodama unreserved cars likely to be full in the afternoon return from Odawara to Shinagawa?
I am aware the Kodamas seem to run about every 25-30 minutes, so again, I guess if we miss an unreserved one we would then have time to reserve seats on the next

How likely on all 3 of these journeys are we likely to be able to get reserved seats at the last minute (not something we have ever done!) if we arrive at the station in time to so reserve?

The Arita-Nagasaki return trip is the most worrying, as it is long and seemingly tortuous:

Thank you!!
by AusTF  

Re: unreserved seats 2014/10/26 22:37
Hi, at first,I answer for the first question.
I'm living in Tokyo now, but my family's hometown is Saga and Nagasaki. So I go there once or twice a year.

For your question, do you want to go Imari and Arita from Nagasaki by one day train trip?
For example simple answer is as below;

Nagasaki(08:56) - Haiki(10:28)
Haiki(10:38) - Arita(10:50)
short walking and lunch
Arita(13:00) - Imari(13:24)
short walking

return
Imari(15:04) - Arita(15:30)
Arita(15:45) - Haiki(15:57)
Haiki(16:19) - Nagasakki(18:10)
option
Haiki(16:19) - Isahaya(17:20)
Isahaya(17:34) - Nagasaki(17:53) Express Kamome 31 (all are no reservation seats)

You don't need any booking, don't worry, there are many vacant seats as you like, I bet you. As you know JR trains run punctually, you can't miss them on changing trains.

If you want to enjoy at Japanese ryokan with onsen near Nagasaki, you should consider staying Takeo Onsen. From there it is easy to go Arita and Imari. It takes less than 2 hours between Nagasaki and Takeo Onsen.

I will check for other questions and write here later.
by everydaySunday rate this post as useful

Re: unreserved seats 2014/10/27 04:23
Thank you for your help!! I am glad to know we wont need bookings for the day to Arita.
Many thanks again
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: unreserved seats 2014/10/27 07:29
Note that when Hyperdia shows a curly blue T in an orange square it means you need backtrack, that is transfer to a train going in the opposite direction. This usually occurs when you are riding an express train and want to get off at a station not serviced by the express.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: unreserved seats 2014/10/27 07:49
[hat when Hyperdia shows a curly blue T in an orange square it means you need backtrack, that is transfer to a train going in the opposite direction
OK:
15.12 pm Ltd Exp Midori 20 Saga 15.51pm
15.56pm Ltd Exp Kamome 29 Nagasaki 17.23pm
Ifve looked on Google Maps, and can see where they route backtracks, so now I think I understand: we WILL need to change trains at Saga: they are both express trains: guess we see a bit of scenery twice, as this route is easily the quickest back to Nagasaki, and the one Ifm contemplating, as we plan to leave Nagasaki at 7.29am to get to Arita/Imari/Okawachiyama
Thanks!
by AusTF rate this post as useful

reply to this thread