Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Miyajima and Rabbit island in 1 day 2014/11/10 21:57
I have one day around Hiroshima and I wanna go to both Miyajima and Okunoshima (rabbit island) in one day. Do you have any advices?

Thank you in advance.
by Yim (guest)  

Re: Miyajima and Rabbit island in 1 day 2014/11/11 15:17
Get up early and head to Usagijima (Okunoshima) first; it's east of Hiroshima. Island info is on this web page:
http://japan.apike.ca/japan_okunoshima.html#getthere

To get to the island from Hiroshima, take a Sanyō Shinkansen train to Mihara Station; at Mihara, catch a Kure Line local train to Tadanoumi, and from there walk to the ferry terminal.

You can stay there as long as you want before returning to Hiroshima if you just want to see the shrine and torii lit up at night. After returning to Hiroshima Station from Mihara, take the JR line to Miyajimaguchi, it's faster than taking the street car. The Miyajima ferries connect Miyajimaguchi with the island. The shrine is interesting at night so if you get there late, you haven't missed too much. A lot of souvenir stores will still be open but things start closing at dusk. However, if you want to walk on the shrine or go up Mt. Misen, you would have to leave the first island around noon to get to Miyajima before the shrine and ropeway close.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima and Rabbit island in 1 day 2014/11/11 22:42
When you consider the train times plus ferries, Okunoshima is quite far from Miyajima. You will need to plan carefully and you'll have to be realistic regarding how much you can see/do on each island.

The ferries to Okunoshima are infrequent, so if you do this, you should go there first. The island is small and the main bunny area is in front of the hotel, although the bunnies go everywhere. You can walk there or cycle there quickly. It's worth it to see the gas chamber sites if you have time.

You could, for example take the 8:30AM ferry from Tadanoumi to Okunoshima and then take the ferry back at 10:13AM.

It's a bit of a wait, but then you can take the 11:27AM train to Mihara, take a Shinkansen to Hiroshima and then JR train to Miyajimaguchi to be there at 1:15PM where you can take a ferry to Miyajima and spend the rest of your time there.

You can double-check your train times at hyperdia:
http://www.hyperdia.com/

The ferry schedule for Okunoshima is here:
http://www.sanyo-shosen.jp/omishima/time.html

(’‰ŠC is the port, ‘å‹v–ì is Okunoshima)
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima and Rabbit island in 1 day 2014/11/12 01:40
Thank you.

Now I see the picture. If I want to go inside the itsukushima shrine, I've got to leave the okunoshima around 10 am to catch the train and arrive at Miyajima around 1-2 pm. Thank you very much.
by Yim (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread