Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Winter wear in Tokyo 2014/11/24 02:19
Hi guys, going to Tokyo area from 15Dec to 24Dec. Was wondering if whether i need a wool coat or will it be too hot for me? I have only below average tolerance for cold and I come from a fairly hot country (Singapore). Primarily will be staying at Tokyo. Thanks
by Zack (guest)  

Re: Winter wear in Tokyo 2014/11/24 09:13
I come from a pretty hot climate as well. I find it pretty cold in December, especially when it gets windy. I use a jacket that I could use in the snow, but I don't need long johns or anything underneath. I don't layer, because it is too hot inside.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Winter wear in Tokyo 2014/11/24 09:56
You have below average tolerance, you could bring long johns and a jacket. Or you could just bring a jacket, and if it is too cold buy thermal under clothing from uniqlo

You can just look at a weather forecast to check out the temperature. Go to a supermarket near your home. The fridge section is usually about 4 degress, the ice cream minus 2 degress. Gauge from there your required wear.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Winter wear in Tokyo 2014/11/24 21:36
I'm from Singapore (disclaimer: I am relatively more tolerant to the cold than my family and perhaps most other Singaporeans?).

From what I've seen, most newbies to cold weather make 2 common mistakes:

1. Don't layer enough
2. Layering with the wrong material

Having more layers is important because you can adjust to the hot/cold throughout the day. The subways and shopping centres can be very warm, so you will want an outer layer that is easy to take off. At night, if the wind blows, it can be a little chilly so you would want to put on that jacket again.

Layering with the wrong materials is actually not that difficult to avoid. I advice not to wear cotton as the layer touching your skin. When you are running around taking photos and such, you may start to sweat. Even if you don't notice at first, your cotton undershirt will let you know later in the day when it is moist and cold. Light wool/cashmere is recommended because they breathe easily. You can then wear your t-shirt etc on top of it. And the most outer layer should preferably be wind-resistant as wind is the main reason people feel cold.

If you can, I will recommend that you buy your cold weather clothes in Tokyo instead. The stuff in Singapore are badly overpriced, look darn ugly, and not of great quality.

For example, a 100% cashmere sweater goes for around SGD 250 from "Coldwear" in Singapore whereas a similar one in Uniqlo Japan goes for less than 9000yen (SGD100).

You get wider colour choices (winter does not have to be all dark and dreary!), a lighter piece of clothing, similar performance, and less pilling (the thread rolling into balls and sticking on other clothing).

Enjoy your trip!
by hitori rate this post as useful

reply to this thread