Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Proper behavior for Japanese live show 2014/11/24 03:38
Hello everyone! I'm new here but I may just post more and more now that I found this place.

I'm a big fan of the group Psycho le Cemu (which have been in pause since 2006) Next year, they are doing some shows in February and I will do all that I can to have tickets. I will travel from Canada to go see them.

Now, I have never been to Japan, and I went to very few shows in my live (and of course, no Japanese show).

Sadly, my Japanese language skills are pretty limited, and I am trying to learn, but I am also lacking time since this travelling plan is so sudden.

Here is where I need advice: I would like to know, if any of you already went to some V-Kei show , how it usually go? Are there some rules, things I should know, etc. I want to do my best not to be rude and I do not want to cause trouble, or to get lost, etc.
Their show will be at the Tokyo Zepp, in Odaiba.
http://psycholecemu.com/top.html

I also possibly plan to go see Dacco and rice who do a show in what I believe to do a livehouse. Again, I know it is supposed to work very differently there, but I have no idea how it work and again, I want to act as perfectly as I can...
Here is the page for the show:
http://dacco-dacco.net/schedule.html
(it's the one on January 26th)

Can anyone help be?
(also if anyone is actually going to those show, it would be great if you want to message me privately or say it here, I will always be happy to meet fellow fans)

Thank you!

Josiane
by Soji ane  

Re: Proper behavior for Japanese live show 2014/11/24 16:30
Wow! Thanks for the heads up! I remember listening to Kronos when I was still early in my Japanese language journey.

Initially when I read the title I thought it was related to a live TV recording. I believe you are actually asking about the proper etiquette at a live gig instead I suppose?

The basic rules are pretty standard in Japan anyways:
1. No recording of any manner (you can bring in sound recorders, mobile phones, cameras, video-cameras BUT can't use them). Yes, you can't take photos of them even at the end of the show

2. No sharp objects bla bla bla

3. Food/drinks not allowed in the concert venue. They may be sold during the intermission outside of the stage area but you will have to consume it there before re-entering

As for other "unspoken rules":
1. Do not be a hindrance to others

2. Give your neighbours their personal space

3. Go outside if you need to take a call

4. The typical sign of the horns (clenched fist with thumb and little finger out) is not used in Japan. You will want to use just your index finger, or the "love sign" (sign of the horns with index finger stretched out)

5. Head banging and fisting in the air (with the above signs) to the rhythm is the norm, without moving the legs much and of course, in your own spot where you have chosen to stand

6. Remember to clap after each song!

I will consider Psycho Le Cemu one of the tamer acts so there shouldn't be much shouting/screaming nor any mosh pits. I believe they are very rare in Japan. Personally I have only been to underground pop/rock gigs, iyashi-kei singer/songwriter gigs, and free run-of-the-mill girl group performances that sprout out every now and then.

I'll be back in Tokyo area in January but probably won't be going for Psycho Le Cemu as I'll be kinda busy and am not really a huge fan to begin with. Enjoy yourself and feel free to ask if you have more questions.
by hitori rate this post as useful

Re: Proper behavior for Japanese live show 2014/11/24 17:16
I've been going to band concerts in Japan for nearly 40 years, and I'm afraid I've hardly been to v-kei gigs, but I've noticed that the audience in v-kei is leaned towards a j-pop style than British/Amerian rock style.

What I mean is that they would bring in big bags of cheering tools (belongings will be inspected at the door), and there seem to be certain choreography for many of the songs (such as putting up your fist at a very specific point).

Needless to say, the cos-play of the audiences is radical. Some just hop on the train in that outfit while some change their clothes near the venue.

Also note that even if you're short, you can't bring in platforms to stand on. But in fact, people get away bringing in a lot of things they're not supposed to, and while announcements say recording is not allowed, you might find a lot of fans recording and taking photos with bands even encouraging them.

So long story short, it would be best if you can go see more than two shows per band. On your first show, don't bring in too much and follow the crowd. Then on your second show, you can do what you learned from the first show.

Another tip is that while the people at the door inspect any "bags" you have, they never inspect your pockets.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Proper behavior for Japanese live show 2014/11/24 23:07
Wow! Thanks to both f you. I was not expecting someone to know PlC here!

I have a few other questions:
-When I arrive at the show, is there a line I need to get into? Is it clearly indicated where I need to give the tickets, etc
-How much time in advance should I get there?
-Also, I heard you need to buy a consummation in live house... I'm not sure how it's supposed to work? From what I saw, people seem to be standing in those shows without much room around ,so did they drink their thing before?
-Is the way of proceeding in general different for live house shows? I know there will be two bands playing (I like both so yayy!!)

Thank you very much for your help!

by Soji ane rate this post as useful

Re: Proper behavior for Japanese live show 2014/11/25 11:55
-When I arrive at the show, is there a line I need to get into? Is it clearly indicated where I need to give the tickets, etc

I suppose it should be quite clear since the venue isn't that huge. You should ask before queuing to save time.

-How much time in advance should I get there?

This should be explained when you purchase the ticket or written on the ticket itself. If in doubt, just follow the crowd.

-Also, I heard you need to buy a consummation in live house... I'm not sure how it's supposed to work? From what I saw, people seem to be standing in those shows without much room around ,so did they drink their thing before?

Consummation meaning food/drinks? I mentioned in my earlier post. You can consume only outside.

-Is the way of proceeding in general different for live house shows? I know there will be two bands playing (I like both so yayy!!)

Do you mean there are two stages? I won't be expecting that. More than likely they will be performing on the same stage in turns.
by hitori rate this post as useful

Re: Proper behavior for Japanese live show 2014/11/25 12:15
Good, thanks! I just hope I will be able to understand!

Re: Proper behavior for Japanese live show 2014/11/25 17:22
Hi again. I'd never heard of PIC. I just Googled it.

The answer to your new questions totally depends on the venue and concert, so you should ask that again after you obtain your tickets. Or if it is that you are having problem translating a ticket-sales website, then just post your link and someone may be able to assist you.

That said, in any venue, big or small, there are always signs and announcements telling you where to be. If you don't understand them, just show your ticket to a person holding a sign.

You usually don't need to arrive early to a venue, because most tickets come with either a seat assignment or a number telling you the order you get in.

A lot of small-venue tickets give you the right to get one free drink, if that's what you're talking about. You can usually use it any time during the show, but a lot of times they guide you to a queue after the show.

Some venues allow you to drink on the floor/seat area while others don't. Again, it depends on the venue/concert.

-Is the way of proceeding in general different for live house shows?

Different from what? Either way, it's best to ask after you get your ticket(s).
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Proper behavior for Japanese live show 2014/11/26 12:44
For entry, you'll go in in order of your ticket number. For a small show the staff will just call numbers, for a big show like one at zepp usually they have signs marking different blocks (A1-50 etc). If you don't speak Japanese just show your ticket to one of the staff and they'll show you where to stand.

You are usually required to purchase a "drink ticket" good for one drink at the bar. You have to pay the drink fee whether or not you want a drink. You can usually get a bottle of water and keep it in your bag if you don't want to hold a cup. Drinking a drink from the bar in the hall isn't a problem.

As for behavior, don't try to push your way to the front, be careful of those around you, and if you have bags with you use a coin locker or make sure they're not in anyone's way (though Japanese fans are actually pretty bad about this, especially at smaller shows or shows with younger crowds). I've almost never seen anyone Japanese taking photos or video at shows here, and I've seen foreign fans who have tried asked to delete the data from their cameras/phones or asked to leave, so I don't advise trying.

You may be surprised that many of the songs have pre-set movements like set times for fist pumping, head banging, or more elaborate gestures. There's not a lot of free dancing. Just follow the crowd and have fun. :)
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Proper behavior for Japanese live show 2014/11/26 23:16
Thank you soooo much! It make me a bit nervous to go there by myself but I really want to see them. I guess this wil be a big adventure, ahahaahah.

I don't think I would ever try to push my way forward or try to take pictures ahahaaha. But it's good to know it's bad to do it. As for the pre-determined moves, Psycho le Cemu have a LOT of them and I already know all of them ,so it shouldn't be a problem. I've been a fan of them for a long time.

Re: Proper behavior for Japanese live show 2014/12/2 12:10
Hum sorry, but I have another question. It seems there will be tickets sold for the Toyosu Pit AND the Tokyo Zepp Diver City.

I managed to understand where is the Tokyo Zepp Diver, but Toyosu Pit seem pretty far.... Would anyone have been to one of them and be able to give me suggestions on which I should try to get. Would anyone know places to sleep neat the Toyosu Pit?

Thank you

reply to this thread