Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working in Japan 2014/11/26 08:39
For people who are from Japan or who have lived in Japan, what would be the real probability for a foreigner student who earn a bachelor such as International Business administration or International relations in a good ranked Japanese university such as Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University to start his career with a job related to his degree in a big Japanese company? (Fluent in Japanese of course) Companies will be more favorable to hire Japanese although is there any preconception with foreigners that just graduated from Japanese Universities?
by Uis (guest)  

Re: Working in Japan 2014/11/26 10:32
It might depend on the company... but obviously for a company that for example is foreign-based but with offices in Japan, does lots of business with overseas companies, wants to break in to the Western market, etc., being a Japanese University-graduated Japanese speaker but also native other language (English is common obviously, but there's also need for others), you'll have a leg up on non-bilingual speakers. And there is nothing preventing them from hiring you since in theory at least you'll have the same merits as any other Japanese University graduate... again with the added bonus of being bilingual. But I wouldn't doubt you'll run into some company at some point who would rather hire native Japanese people rather than a foreigner, I just also think you'll have enough options to choose from that it wont matter too much if that makes sense...
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan 2014/11/26 18:42
Job searching is so subjective and depends on so many factors (that you probably can't control or expect).

I have met a fresh graduate from Kyoto University in Tokyo who was still looking for a job 6 months after his graduation in spring.

On the other hand there are also the seemingly random foreigners who have jobs even though they don't speak much Japanese even.

Eventually when you step out of your campus and into the working world, it is alot about the "value" you can generate and how you sell it. I'm sure you have heard it many times already. All the best.
by hitori rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan 2014/11/26 21:08
I agree with Hitori that is very hard to say from a distance, and that it involves many factors. I too have seen very hard working and eager students wanting to work in Japan, but no company hired them. Then I have seen students with so-so study results and attitudes that I would never want if I was hiring, yet they have found interesting jobs in Japan that would make a lot of people jealous.

Not everyone has the same people skills, and does equally well in an interview.

My advice is to think very well what kind of job you want to have and at which particular company. Then try to find out how are where they recrui, based on what values (you could check their website for example). Then work towards that goal. Just the name of a university won't be enough to hire you.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan 2014/11/26 21:11
Gomen, I tried to say how and where they recruit.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread