Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Engaged Live in Japan for 1 year return to US 2014/11/29 04:06
I'm an American man living in the US. My Japanese girlfriend (living in Japan) and I would like to get married.
I understand Japanese culture fairly well, but she had the idea and I agreed that after we get married we should live together for a year in Japan then return to America. This way I'm immersed in the culture and have an even greater appreciation for her and the Japanese culture then I already do.

From what I gather so far.
1) before I leave the US I should apply for a reentry permit.
2) get married in Japan and apply for a spousal visa.
3) During that year in Japan start the process for her to get a US spousal visa.

I know it will not be quite that simple. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!
by kurisu84  

Re: Engaged Live in Japan for 1 year return to US 2014/11/29 11:45
1) doesn't sound right. You cannot start thinking about re-entry permit before you have a visa :) Or are you talking about your girlfriend's reentry into the US?
I cannot say anything about 3), as I know nothing about the process for the US.

First of all, please think about where you will live eventually, and by which country's law you want to be married by.

If you plan to live in the States for majority of your married life, I might suggest:
(1) you get married in the US first
(2) register the US law-based marriage with the Japanese authorities either through her reporting the marriage via Consulate of Japan in the US, or reporting it to her home town city hall,
(3) then depending on the timing, either apply for Certificate of Eligibility for Spouse visa in the US, OR come to Japan on Temporary Visitor Status, and convert to Spouse status.

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Engaged Live in Japan for 1 year return to US 2014/11/29 11:55
I'm also confused by 1. If you are a US citizen, you shouldn't need any kind of permit to enter the US...
by Firas rate this post as useful

reply to this thread