Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travelling to Chuubu: JR East pass? 2014/12/9 12:45
Hi all,

I have sort of finalised the areas that I will be heading to next April, but need some advice on the details.

Would be covering the following areas starting off from Tokyo (not in order): Takato Castle, Matsumoto, Takayama, Izu, and hopefully Toyama or Nagano if time permits.

Is it advisable to get the JR East Pass? I like the flexibility it offers but seems like I am unable to use it to get to areas beyond Matsumoto...

Appreciate your advice!
by sugarpride  

Re: Travelling to Chuubu: JR East pass? 2014/12/9 14:07
No,not covered all.
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/eastpass/

Matsumoto: JR-East
Takato Castle(JR Chino stn): JR-East (bus to castle not covered)
Izu: JR-East(until Ito) and non-JR
Takayama: JR-Tokai
Nagoya: JR-Tokai and non-JR
Toyama: JR-West(Hokuriku Shinkansen from 14 Mar 2015) and non-JR
by TB (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling to Chuubu: JR East pass? 2014/12/9 14:21
That's not entirely correct. Rail travel to Takayama and Toyama are not covered, but all the other trains are. The JR East pass also gets you heavily discounted bus tickets between Matsumoto and Takayama and covers the Izukyu Railway portion of the Izu trip. So really it's just Toyama that you need to figure out (or skip). Why do you go to Toyama? If you want to see the Alpine Route then you're probably better off approaching from the Nagano side instead.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling to Chuubu: JR East pass? 2014/12/9 17:26
Thank you all! I've worked the order out and this seems to work around the 5 day pass. Please let me know if I've got anything wrong for the key travelling routes:

Narita - Ito/Izu: JR East
Ito/Izu - Shinjuku: JR East
Shinjuku to Takato Castle: JR East to Chino, Bus not covered to the Castle
Chino-Matsumoto: JR East
Matsumoto to Takayama: Bus discounted with the pass
Matsumoto to Nagano: JR East
Nagano to Narita: JR East

I guess I'll head for Nagano instead as it works within the pass!

by sugarpride rate this post as useful

reply to this thread