Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Taxes for non-residents 2014/12/20 00:27
Hello everyone! I will be very grateful for any help!
My name is Ann and I'm from Russia.
Now I'm working in Tokyo as a model and I'd like to know more about taxes for foreigners. My agent told me it's 22.1%. But I've heard that russian non-residents don't need to pay taxes anymore. Is this information true?
by Ann (guest)  

Re: Taxes for non-residents 2014/12/20 13:57
tax office requests agencies to deduct income tax(about 20%) from their payments. the agencies have no right to decide your tax.
you are not qualified as a tax exemption treaty between Japan and Russia, because you are an entertainer.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Taxes for non-residents 2014/12/21 10:42
Sorry, but I'm afraid I didn't understand your English correctly.. Do you mean that I really need to pay that percents from earned money?
by Ann (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Taxes for non-residents 2014/12/21 15:49
you must clarify that you are non-resident or resident.

for an example of non-resident,
if a famous musician comes to Japan to hold several concerts at several cities for a month, and he/she comes back after finishing all concerts. it is non-resident. he/she just visits to hold particular concerts. his/her everyday living is out of Japan.

do you have zairyu card (在留カード) ?
if so, you are a resident.
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact_1/point_1-2.html

Re: Taxes for non-residents 2014/12/22 11:42
no-no, of course I'm non-resident. I have working visa only for 3 month and I'm going back home very soon

Re: Taxes for non-residents 2014/12/22 11:50
I have working visa only for 3 month

There is no 3 months working visa. It does not exists. There are 1 year and 3 years working visas. Japanese government promised a 5 years working visa when law changed but last time I extended mine (this summer) I got again 3 years. Again...
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Taxes for non-residents 2014/12/22 12:29
But I have visa type E as entertainer for 3 months - I just called it "working" visa.

Re: Taxes for non-residents 2014/12/22 13:36
both of non-resident and resident should pay tax. the difference is the process of paying tax.
tax must be subtracted when you get money from the company (or any payers), so called as 源泉徴収.if the company did not deduct the tax from the payment, tax office will charge the penalty to the company(payer).
taxation are two types, 10% or 20%.
you can't escape from taxation.

if you are a resident, you can claim tax-return in Japan. if you are a non-resident, you may claim tax-return in your home country, if you REPORT the income obtained in Japan to RUSSIA TAX OFFICE.

Re: Taxes for non-residents 2014/12/23 00:07
Ok, now it's clear for me. Thank you very much for your help!

reply to this thread