Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kinosaki Onsen and Fireworks 2015/1/10 04:35
I'm planning a trip to Japan and would like to go to Kinosaki Onsen in July of 2015, and I have a bunch of questions:

1) I've picked Kinosaki because I heard the town has an older feel to it than many other popular onsen towns. Is that true? I'm hoping for a traditional looking onsen town.

2) I heard that there are fireworks at the end of July, when I plan to go. Are the fireworks in Kinosaki worth it? Or should I go a bit earlier to beat the crowd? ... or is it pretty much the same in terms of crowdiness?

3) During the fireworks period, are there going to be food stalls or other stalls around town? Or would it only be fireworks?

4) Are there any outdoor baths I can view the fireworks from? Or is it better just to see it on the streets because of atmosphere?

5) If I go, I'll be going from Kyoto. I plan to take an early train and hopefully arriving in Kinosaki sometime in the late morning/early afternoon. Is that possible?

6) I'll likely be traveling solo. Are there any solo traveller friendly ryokans? If yes, which ones do you recommend?

7) My budget is about $25,000 - $30,000 for accommodations (incl. dinner & breakfast) in Kinosaki. Should I just splurge and try to book a good ryokan for 1 night? Or should I book a less expensive ryokan for 2 nights? Are there enough to do in town if I stay for 2 nights?

8) Which budget ryokan's recommended if I want to stay for 2 nights?

Thanks!
by kooritsuki  

Re: Kinosaki Onsen and Fireworks 2015/1/15 07:08
Anyone?
by kooritsuki rate this post as useful

Re: Kinosaki Onsen and Fireworks 2015/1/15 10:16
1. It does have an olden feel, yes.
2. no idea

5. Yes. Please do research to find timings of train. It is not all that frequent. But it doesn't take too long either
6. most ryokans are sold per room. But there are exceptions where there go per person.
7. For 25,000 $ you can book a ryokan for several nights. A ryokan night shouldn't be more than a thousand $. Unless it is a villa ryokan.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kinosaki Onsen and Fireworks 2015/1/15 10:54
1) I've picked Kinosaki because I heard the town has an older feel to it than many other popular onsen towns. Is that true? I'm hoping for a traditional looking onsen town.

Yes and no. I would say the town has a modern traditional feel, in that things may be relatively new (especially after some recent renovations) but designed in a traditional feel that feels old. If you want truly old traditional there there are better options, however as far as town atmosphere goes Kinosaki is the best. Incidentally, Kinosaki is one of my favorite onsen towns.

2) I heard that there are fireworks at the end of July, when I plan to go. Are the fireworks in Kinosaki worth it? Or should I go a bit earlier to beat the crowd? ... or is it pretty much the same in terms of crowdiness?

I've never been but it looks like it would be nice, but probably not spectacular compared to other fireworks in Japan.

3) During the fireworks period, are there going to be food stalls or other stalls around town? Or would it only be fireworks?

Pictures on the internet would suggest that there would be food stalls on the streets during the fireworks.

4) Are there any outdoor baths I can view the fireworks from? Or is it better just to see it on the streets because of atmosphere?

I don't recall many rotemburo in Kinosaki, but you may be able to see it from the roof baths of Sotoyu if they are open.

5) If I go, I'll be going from Kyoto. I plan to take an early train and hopefully arriving in Kinosaki sometime in the late morning/early afternoon. Is that possible?

The earliest direct train leaves at 11:25 and arrives in Kinosaki around 1:50

6) I'll likely be traveling solo. Are there any solo traveller friendly ryokans? If yes, which ones do you recommend?

Ryokan typically charge BY THE PERSON, not the room. In some cases, you can book a single travel, or you may have to book for two people. Sorry I don't have any specific suggestions.

7) My budget is about $25,000 - $30,000 for accommodations (incl. dinner & breakfast) in Kinosaki. Should I just splurge and try to book a good ryokan for 1 night? Or should I book a less expensive ryokan for 2 nights? Are there enough to do in town if I stay for 2 nights?

Personally I would probably stay one night at a better ryokan.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Kinosaki Onsen and Fireworks 2015/1/15 10:57
Btw, I would budget around 15000 yen per person per night for a typical nice, but not luxurious ryokan. 25,000-30,000 approaches higher end pricing.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Kinosaki Onsen and Fireworks 2015/1/15 12:56
I was there two years ago in late August. The fireworks are part of a festival which runs for a whole month every night. They have various events, many food stalls and even paper lantern floats in the river. The atmosphere is truly amazing and it's not crowded at all!
The fireworks themselves were just 10 minutes, so nothing spectacular, but they're a nice ending to a great little old town festival. I was staying in Toyooka back then but I guess it's also worth a day trip from Kyoto.
by AlexanderStankov rate this post as useful

reply to this thread