Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 29

1 2
next

Backing out of a job before arriving 2015/1/31 03:01
I was recently offered a job to teach English at an eikaiwa. I've already received my work visa.

Unfortunately, I'm beginning to have doubts about whether or not I want to go through with it. I have a couple reasons for this:

1) From what I've read about the company, it doesn't have the best reputation (if you want to know which company it is, PM me). I actually knew about the company's reputation before accepting the job, but at the time, I just wanted to find any job in Japan. However, now that the time for me to depart approaches, the reality of what awaits me is becoming more apparent.

2) This is kind of a shallow reason, but the job is in a small town (again, PM me if you want to know which one. I want to remain as anonymous as possible). Now, I've visited small towns when I was studying in Japan and I enjoyed my stay at them, but I'm not sure if I'd like to live in one. I was living in Tokyo at the time and greatly enjoyed my time there, but especially with my job situation, I don't know how well I'll enjoy living in this location (from what I've heard, no nightlife, you need a car to get anywhere, etc.).

3) Money is an issue. I'm currently working at a minimum wage retail job and am barely making it by with the expenses I need to pay where I am now. Not to mention, I have student loans I need to pay off. When I arrive, I'll probably have around 400,000 yen and won't get my first paycheck for the first two months. Not to mention, I'll need to pay for my ticket both ways and I'll need to pay two months rent up front (I don't know if I'll need to pay rent for those next two months after that, though). And once I am paid, I'll be making less than 250,000 yen a month. I'll be staying at a Leo Palace, if that helps, and my company said they'd be paying the other expenses that usually come with staying at a Leo Palace (besides utilities).

4) I just don't feel the motivation these days. I thought that it would be an interesting experience teaching English in Japan, but reading about people's experiences and about expats, I don't know if I really want to do this.

Now, if I were to decide to not take this job that I already have a work visa for, how would this affect my future prospects in finding a job in Japan? Will this reflect negatively? Or is it a common enough occurrence that it's not seen as a big deal?

Should I bite the bullet and just come over with the money I have, and if it's as a bad as people say, either find another job in Japan or move back home? I don't want to do the second option because I've already saved a lot from my job and getting myself back to this point again will be difficult (unless I can actually find a professional job back home, but having a BA in Asian Studies and limited experience hasn't been helping me). I also eventually want to get a programming job, either by going back to school or building a portfolio, so there's also that.
by md578  

Re: Backing out of a job before arriving 2015/1/31 10:19
My opinion is that you suck it up, buy your ticket, and give it a go for a year. If it's really that bad, then after a year you find something better, or you quit and go back to your minimum wage job.

If I was an employer, and I heard that you backed out of a job in the way you described, there's no way I'd offer you a job - you've demonstrated yourself to be unreliable, and that your words are without meaning.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Backing out of a job before arriving 2015/1/31 10:49
But if there as bad as I hear, would they even deserve that courtesy? I need to look out for myself first.

Having said that, I'll think it over.
by md578 rate this post as useful

Re: Backing out of a job before arriving 2015/1/31 11:23
I don't know which company you are talking about but keep in mind that the stories you read on the internet tend to skew negative. People are very quick to post about negative experience, but rarely do they spend time and energy posting about good ones. Every single major eikawa company out there has a host of negative reviews on the internet, even the best rated jobs so take everything with a grain of salt.

Small towns can be great and where you end up living will be as good as you make it. But if you do find that you need to be in Tokyo, then maybe that is something that you can work toward. A lot of people start off in small towns and then work their way toward better jobs in the places that they'd rather like to be. Your income sounds fine and you'll probably be able to save some money if you're not blowing it every weekend on trips to Tokyo.

Anyway, it sounds like you just have pre-departure jitters. Take some time to think it over. Being an expat can be awesome at times and frustrating at times. Just like life wherever you are.

Now for some more specific answers:

Now, if I were to decide to not take this job that I already have a work visa for, how would this affect my future prospects in finding a job in Japan? Will this reflect negatively? Or is it a common enough occurrence that it's not seen as a big deal?

It would reflect negatively. Immigration will have to be informed and it could have an effect on future visa applications.

Should I bite the bullet and just come over with the money I have, and if it's as a bad as people say, either find another job in Japan or move back home?

Whatever you decide, make sure to read your contract. Some have a non-compete clause that could make it difficult to find a new teaching job quickly.

But if there as bad as I hear, would they even deserve that courtesy? I need to look out for myself first.

So all you have is second and third hand info? Have you spoken to any current employees?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Backing out of a job before arriving 2015/1/31 11:30
You'll kick yourself later for passing up this opportunity.
by daai maou (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Backing out of a job before arriving 2015/1/31 11:32
I actually did speak with some current employees, but the information they were giving me conflicted with what my employer told me. For example, they said that I would get a flight ticket home upon completing my contract. However, my employer told me that this wasn't true.

It's weird because he said that he would be working in the same location as me.

Re: Backing out of a job before arriving 2015/1/31 11:41
Be careful when discussing specific compensation with current and former employees, as it is not uncommon for their compensations to vary. In addition, a lot of companies have been cutting back over the years and it is not surprising that they don't now offer flights, as that is pretty much industry standard these days.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Backing out of a job before arriving 2015/1/31 12:40
Yeah, I here you.

To be honest, I actually do kind of want to go. It's just that there are some fears, to tell you the truth.

For one thing, I'm worried about money. I'm wondering if the amount I'm bringing will be enough. And the amount I said I was bringing might not even be that. At my current job, I don't know what hours I'll be getting until a week before, and sometimes, the hours can vary.

I'm worried about not being able to afford to eat or being able to make rent.

I'm afraid that I'm going to be all alone. I know some Japanese and I think that going back will improve it, but I'm worried if I'll even make friends with Japanese. And I don't know if there will be any other foreigners. At least in the city, I'd be able to find people to hang out with through meetups.

I'm also going to miss my family's dog. I've watched him grow up from a puppy, and I don't know if I can go a full year without seeing him. I'd be fine with seeing every few months, but a year seems like too much.

But at the same time, I've been really depressed at my current job. I've been lonely because I'm too ashamed to even talk with my old friends from college because of my situation. I've thought many times about killing myself.

I'm not saying going to Japan would be a magic pill, but at least it will get me out of that toxic retail environment. I just don't know if I'll be just going out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Sorry that this post comes across as so negative. I just haven't talked to anyone about any of this.

Re: Backing out of a job before arriving 2015/1/31 16:49
You should do what your gut is telling you. To me it sounds like you're looking for reasons not to go. If you don't want to go then follow your instincts. If you're so depressed that you're feeling suicidal, maybe it's not the right time in your life to move abroad, there's no shame in that. Just don't base your decision on what you've heard from others about what life in Japan is like. Some people, especially when on the internet, tend to dwell on the negatives and forget how great living abroad in Japan can be. I can understand your fear about the unknown, and I won't lie to you - you will feel lonely here and there will be times when you wish you were back home in your comfort zone. But sometimes we grow more when we challenge ourselves and put ourselves into new situations which we know will be difficult. You should be honest with yourself about whether or not you can handle the stresses of life in a new country, and whether you think you will grow as a person from such an experience. Stresses exist everywhere, it's how we overcome them that matters. Anyway good luck with whatever you choose and all the best.
by Jinx77 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Backing out of a job before arriving 2015/1/31 21:29
Instead of asking "why" you should ask yourself "why not". You are young. Now is the time to do it. When you are older with a family it would be very difficult. I know it would be scary but sometimes doing something scary is just what we need to jumpstart our lives. No one can tell you what to do. Only you know that. Listen carefully to your heart and your head. You will know the answer. And remember - nothing is forever.
by annie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Backing out of a job before arriving 2015/1/31 22:48
I'm only 23 this year, but I've lived in 3 different countries so far, and Japan being my fourth this coming April. I understand the feeling of moving out of our comfort zone, stepping into a new territory and having to start all over. It is a scary thought at first, but now I view every challenge as a new opportunity for me to learn and grow. Such experiences cannot be bought by money. It certainly wasn't a bed of roses so far, but I value every opportunity that I had in all these countries that I lived - their culture, their lifestyle and people.

I'm searching for an apartment through Leopalace as well, and there are many options which do not require key money and deposit. I'm not sure of your reasons of having to choose one which requires 2 months of rent in advance, but perhaps you could consider other cheaper options that they offer.

As for the company's reputation, take it with a grain of salt, as the other poster has mentioned. No company or jobs are perfect out there. It is how we react or our ability to be flexible to situations that determine if we're going to accept it or rebel against it.

Most people that whinge about how much they hate the (corporate) system in Japan most probably expect things to go according to their way, as they would like it or the way that they were familiar with (i.e home country).

As the Japanese proverb go, "the nail that sticks out gets hammered down", as an expat, there are certain things that we must accept if we're living in another's country. If you can do that, you'll be less miserable and be happier - regardless of where you are.
by Murakami Seirin rate this post as useful

Re: Backing out of a job before arriving 2015/1/31 23:49
I doubt that I'm going to get married anytime soon, because I've never even been in a relationship or had sex. As shallow as it may sound, at this point in my life, all I want to do is have sex.

That's another thing. I don't know if I'll even be able to meet any girls in my town. And I'll probably miss foreign girls.

Re: Backing out of a job before arriving 2015/2/1 05:03
In my opinion, you absolutely should go. The only justification for not going now is that you have actually arranged to begin studying programming in order to make your ambitoon of becoming a programmer a reality.

Otherwise, you are throwing away an opportunity for growth and experience that you have already put a lot of effort into making happen.

Look at it as a life adventure.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Backing out of a job before arriving 2015/2/1 09:14
In my opinion you shouldn't go. I know someone who is there now and is very unhappy for some of the reasons you mentioned.

- He lives and works in a small town with nothing to do and no nightlife to speak of.
- He hasn't met any other foreigners there.
- He has no one to talk to; his Japanese co-workers don't speak much english and he doesn't speak japanese.
- He can't read japanese and is frustrated by small things such as ordering in restaurants or buying groceries and operating small appliances
by ed (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Backing out of a job before arriving 2015/2/11 09:09
So, is there really no way for me to pull out of this job without messing up my future employment options in Japan?

I really wish I thought this through before accepting the job.

Re: Backing out of a job before arriving 2015/2/12 04:42
I think you should go! I've been doing lots of research on the subject because I've heard of some bad companies to work for. If the conditions are really that terrible - I mean, you absolutely dread working and simply can't go on - you can quit the job. You aren't bound and shackled to any job in ANY country. It would be appropriate to give them at LEAST two weeks, if not a month's notice ahead of time. It would seem to me that as long as you gave appropriate notice to the current company, you would keep your visa with no problem and could maybe find a different job as well. Good luck!
by Heidi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Backing out of a job before arriving 2015/2/12 07:08
You won't be the first person who has pulled out of a job overseas after having second thoughts. Don't get too caught up in the future Visa issues.. if you dont go and an opportunity arises where you are in a better situation, I'm sure you can approach Immigration. Yes they may turn you down, but they might not!

However I do think you are having last minute jitters.. most of us do. Small town, positives are I'm sure you will save more money, and hopefully learn Japanese faster. Prepare yourself for homesickness, its an insidious thing that fluctuates between love and hate for your place in minutes. It would help to have another foreigner as a friend, so you can laugh and cry together until things become more level,and they usually do. Remember you won't have lots of time, you will be teaching young people who will provide you with humor and I'm sure you will be involved in school life.
Forget about the sex and foreign women.!!! All that will come along in the fullness of time. Have you got family you can talk some of this through with? Are you involved in any sports, if you are you could join a club in the town you will be working in. Don't worry about lack of Japanese language, as the language of sport is universal.
Good Luck, in your decision making.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Backing out of a job before arriving 2015/2/12 14:41
I have only been to Japan as a tourist,quite a few times, but while I was in a college in a well known European country, I got the chance to go to Finland for a summer to see how they built suspension bridges (I studied civil engineering in college).

In those days there was no internet, and I couldn't find a guide-book about Finland. I had already travelled in a couple of countries in Europe, but with a tour group arranged by a Catholic priest, good friend of my Protestant family..

So I went.It was my first trip on a plane too!
Just to go to the place where I would stay meant taking a long distance train from Helsinki...and there were no English signs at all anywhere. Finnish didn't look like any of the languages I knew..
But I managed...

Once there, I used a mix of French and English on the construction site and used a dictionary for the Finnish...
I enjoyed my time there a lot..
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Backing out of a job before arriving 2015/2/13 01:24
The whole thing just seems irresponsible. Why would you accept a job and go through the visa process BEFORE researching the company, considering whether the pay is enough, etc?

You have an awful lot of criticisms about a company you've never actually worked for.

If you do pull out and it affects future prospects and visa applications, it'll be your own fault.

Still, if your top priority really is sex, maybe you shouldn't accept the job. While it's a huge pain for employers to have people they've hired bail, it's better to have that than to accept the job and then blow it off or do a poor job if you already know you don't want to do it. If you do accept it, you need to focus on changing your attitude. A lot of it will be what you make it. If you decide it's awful from the start, it'll probably be bad but if you have an open mind and are willing to learn, it may be okay or even good.
by Rabbityama (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Backing out of a job before arriving 2015/3/4 12:16
Dude, I did plenty of research on this company. Don't put words in my mouth.

Honestly, I mostly just don't have as much of an interest in Japan anymore. I'm also sick of making low wages and want to make an actual living. I'm not going to get that working at an eikaiwa.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 29

1 2
next

reply to this thread