Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bathroom/Toilets - Where can I find them? 2015/2/7 04:01
How accessible are public bathrooms after hours (night time)? I have a concerns about visiting Golden Gai due to the fact that drinks run through me when I'm nervous.

Do the small bars at Golden Gai have their own bathrooms or do I have to rush to find one somewhere else?

Also during visits to Temples, do they have their own toilet rooms as well?

I know that toilets are easily found at stores like "Family Mart" but are stores like that open 24/7? I'm somewhat nervous that I wont be able to find one as I'm out exploring the city at night or at a temple somewhere...

Look forward to your feedback!

by DavidR1865  

Re: Bathroom/Toilets - Where can I find them? 2015/2/7 08:48
I know that toilets are easily found at stores like "Family Mart" but are stores like that open 24/7?

Most are, yes, especially those which are "stand-alone" (i.e., not located inside a larger complex such as a train station). You can use the Google Maps app on your smartphone to easily find the nearest one.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Bathroom/Toilets - Where can I find them? 2015/2/7 11:05
I don't know if all bars in Golden Gai have tlilets, but there is a public toilet on the south side of golden guy, which is always open. I believe that public toilets generally don't close at night, unless they're in a train station, park or other complex that closes in the evening.
by Umechan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bathroom/Toilets - Where can I find them? 2015/2/7 12:13
Before you visit Golden Gai, take a toilet rest at Shinjuku station or some large department stores such as Isetan which opens until 20:00. Then visit Golden Gai.

Combini such as FamilyMart sometimes don't allow you to use their toilet, this is because some toilet users make mess in their toilet. So I strongly recommend you to take a toilet rest before you visit there. Once you are in a bar and take drinks, the bar allows you to use their toilet which is not very flash.

In temples/shrines, I also recommend you to take a toilet rest before you visit there. This is because, temples and shrines are very spiritual and holly place to visit. They don't have toiletry facilities there.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Bathroom/Toilets - Where can I find them? 2015/2/7 15:46
Japan as a lot of (free) public toilets compared to other cities in the world. At places like Golden Gai, there is a toilet just down the street. Ask the bartender for "toilet" and they will point the direction.

Temples and parks often have toilets in their yard.

Train stations are also a common place that people go for toilets, and they are open as long as the trains are running. The ticket gate clerk will let you in/out just to use the toilet, meaning that if you're still riding the train and the station only has a toilet outside the gate they will let you go out without collecting our ticket.

The most risky places are residential areas and hiking courses where there are few shops, bars and parks, so if you're going deep into those areas, be sure to find a toilet before hand.

Don't worry, Japan doesn't easily let you do it on the streets.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bathroom/Toilets - Where can I find them? 2015/2/7 16:15
I didn't think familymart had washrooms for customers?

Personally, I didn't like some of the washrooms because they were traditional japanese. When I was in chichibu I had to use one at the station.

Otherwise I never ventured too far from my hotel which was good!

The train station outside of Miyajima had you buy a roll of toilet paper for one hundred yen. Otherwise I didn't see pay toilets.
by sillyhead rate this post as useful

Re: Bathroom/Toilets - Where can I find them? 2015/2/7 17:01
All convenience stores will have public restrooms. It is generally considered polite to buy something before or after using one from the store, and that goes for other places such as restaurants (fast food and regular), department stores, small shops, grocery stores, etc.

Larger shrines and temples will have public restrooms, but smaller ones may not. If it is an emergency and you are at a smaller shrine or temple, you can try asking to use the private one, but shouldn't assume. They may be nice enough to allow you to do so, but some might refuse. They should be able to direct you to a public one or someplace that will have one however.

It's always good to bring some tissue with you. It's handy for a lot of things, including using as toilet paper if needed. Restrooms in Japan are generally equipped with toilet paper, but not 100% of the time. They often do not have soap, so I also recommend bringing some in a small bottle to wash your hands with, and a cloth to wipe off the water after.

If the restroom is traditional Japanese, remember, pants to your knees, then squat, and clean up after yourself if you make a mess. I don't mind these style toilets, but most Westerners make a huge fuss about them for some reason.

Don't worry, Japan doesn't easily let you do it on the streets.[/

Unless you're old! The amount of times I have seen old Japanese men peeing on the street, often not 10 steps from a combini or public restroom, is frankly astonishing. I figured it was the old dude prerogative, like, once you hit 65 it's just your right to go whenever you want. ;p
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Bathroom/Toilets - Where can I find them? 2015/2/8 03:03
Combini such as FamilyMart sometimes don't allow you to use their toilet,

I've never been denied use of the toilet in any combini (FamilyMart or other), and I've probably visited a good hundred of them in about 30 prefectures. But then again, I've never really been to Tokyo, where most of the Bad Things seem to happen.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Bathroom/Toilets - Where can I find them? 2015/2/8 04:37
Thank you everyone for writing! I'm glad to read them and I feel confident that I won't have to panic about finding one since I don't speak good Japanese!

Thank you again everyone!
by DavidR1865 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread