Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Will my albino frieind be a freak in Japan? 2015/3/3 13:55
I've heard that peopke with blonde hair are stared at alot in Japan, so my freind is afraid to visit Japan because she has albanism ( pale skin, blonde hair, and rainbow -looking eyes) and would be considered a "freak" and would be descriminated against. In Africa, Albinos are kidnapped and killed for their body parts because they are considered "demons"by witch doctors , primarily in Tanzania. Because of this she is really afraid to even venture outside of the US. She is really pretty for a girl with Albanian , and she loves everything about Japan. I don't want her fears to get in the way of her visiting Japan. Please help me help my friend.
by KitsuneChan202  

Re: Will my albino frieind be a freak in Japan? 2015/3/3 14:38
I don't think your friend will have any problems past the usual "this person looks different from me" looks and requests for photos. I'm not albino but extremely pale, natural curly redhead with pale eyes. People look, but look down and away quickly. I didn't have anyone approach me for anything other than photos except for one occasion in kabukicho and that only happened because I was alone late at night walking back to my accom to check on my sick friend. I just ignored the person who was trying to tout me and walked into the nearest konbini and they left me alone. I think it's pretty normal for any obvious foreigner who's alone. If she's with someone she'll have no problems.
by Chasingme (guest) rate this post as useful

No, she will not be kidnapped/killed 2015/3/3 19:08
Johnny Winter is extremely respected in Japan, if that's what you're asking.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will my albino frieind be a freak in Japan? 2015/3/3 19:47
Mind your spelling Fox chan...
Some Albanians might not like your comment : "she is really nice for an Albanian..."
However who told you blond people are discriminated in Japan?!
I am blonde and many Japanese youngsters dye their hair blonde.
Blonde is cool in Japan!
Ya maaan!
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will my albino frieind be a freak in Japan? 2015/3/4 13:54
She will probably be stared at, and some people might want to take her picture, but it's the same with any foreigner in Japan, especially ones that stand out (my friend who is almost 7 feet tall is often asked about it or asked for pictures). The only people who will make unkind comments are the kind who would make those comments to anyone foreign, and she definitely doesn't have to worry about being attacked.

I've seen native Japanese people with albinism, so the condition isn't unknown. As long as she can handle a few double-takes she'll be fine in Japan.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will my albino frieind be a freak in Japan? 2015/3/4 14:09
Oh dear...
I've never been asked to take a picture as a blonde Caucasian male.
And I live in the countryside...
And what if someone asks to take a picture of you?! Just smile and do it!
I don't understand all these concerns by female travellers to the safest country in the world.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will my albino frieind be a freak in Japan? 2015/3/4 16:28
Best case scenario - no-one will notice or care (ie, Tokyo).

Worst case scenario - people will stare (ie countryside).

I wouldn't expect anything better or worse than that, to be honest.
by junkymotown (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will my albino frieind be a freak in Japan? 2015/3/5 04:18
Thank you very much for the advice!!! This helped her out alot and she was very happy to know that even in the worse case she will be stared at.She deals with staring on a regular basis so that wont be too much of a concern. To be honest, I wouldn't think people would respond to this thread either because it would raise too much commotion or people wouldn't know what Albinism was. And I'm sorry for the spelling error ("Albanian") I will be more careful in the future.
Again, thank you.
by KitsuneChan202 rate this post as useful

Re: Will my albino frieind be a freak in Japan? 2015/3/6 15:31
Average Japanese people are at least as smart as average Americans...Japan is not a 3rd world country..
by Rueful renard (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will my albino frieind be a freak in Japan? 2015/9/20 19:04
Actually i'm albaino and i live in Saudi Arabia "try to imagine that " i've been to many countries even japan they treatment me as normal tourist liked me because the carton kempa lion , everything is normal for me
Wish a best luck
by Abdullah (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will my albino frieind be a freak in Japan? 2015/9/20 19:39
You might tell your friend about these websites, the list is here:

http://www.albinism.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=3595&sid=8c8df5dc...

by Salt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will my albino frieind be a freak in Japan? 2015/9/24 04:45
"Your friend," right.

blonde people are generally popular in Japan, so I don't really think it's a negative at all. There are many Japanese that dye their hair blonde.
by KGhaleon rate this post as useful

Re: Will my albino frieind be a freak in Japan? 2015/9/24 17:15
Did you stop reading the original post at "blonde hair" ?

The poster's friend is albino, it's a genetic condition and the OP was merely asking out of concern for them. I really don't understand your hostile tone.
by DDD (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread