Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advice for a young traveller in Japan 2015/3/5 03:59
Hi there

I'm from London, and 18 years old, from London.

As part of my gap year travels before beginning university studies this September, I will be in Japan from the 2nd to 23rd Apri 2015.

This is my first time travelling alone - I know that Japan is not like other countries in Asia, such as Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam etc., in that it is not a 'backpacker-centric' country. My main fear is that, even if staying I'm hostels, I have a much lower chance of meeting other young, backpackers. If I can't find anyone to travel with at all, that's a scary thought.
I'm not sure if I'd enjoy that.

What advice do any of you have? Is there any way I can meet other young backpackers in Japan, be it online or once I get there? Even if they are Japanese, I don't mind at all. Just someone to accompany me on my travels. :)

Many thanks in advance
by AWald1  

Re: Advice for a young traveller in Japan 2015/3/5 11:29
Take your buddy from London.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for a young traveller in Japan 2015/3/5 12:35
I wouldn't say Japan isn't a country for backpacking. I have seen quite a few of them while waiting for Willer buses and Shinkansen trains. If you choose to stay in hostels, I am certain you will meet some new friends especially if you participate in hostel events and activities.
by yozakura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for a young traveller in Japan 2015/3/5 12:42
There's a website called http://www.interpals.net where travelers or people who are new to a country can advertise that they want to meet people who can show them around. I've never used it myself but I know a few people who have and said it was useful in getting to know people in Japan. You should be careful though as meeting people off the internet can be dodgy. If you're staying at backpackers you will definitely meet people, there are heaps of other travelers just like yourself who want to link up with others so you should have no problems.
by jennjett rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for a young traveller in Japan 2015/3/5 15:21
I've stayed in hostels. I've met others from my country. Met others from UK. Met others from US.

My pal met an italian in Nagano.

These are experience from my self travel and friends travel. Family travel = no hostel
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for a young traveller in Japan 2015/3/5 16:38
THere are backpackers traveling through Japan. And you will probably meet other travelers in hostels.

However, since Japan is a country that is so easy to navigate by yourself (meaning just with the help of guidebooks and some research beforehand), people tend to plan things well in advance, and those who want to go alone will fly alone to Japan, and those who want to go with buddies tend to fly over with buddies. So... whether you will bump into someone who is willing to join up with you is another question. So expect to be by yourself on some days at least, and I hope you will learn to enjoy traveling alone too :)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for a young traveller in Japan 2015/3/5 17:53
I just came back from Japan, I was there for 3 months. I just turned 19 when I arrived in Japan. It was my first time travelling overseas and alone.
I met so many great people in hostels, some I even met again in Yokohama or Tokyo before I left back home. Just make sure to be outgoing. If some people people are going for dinner, ask to join.
by caylankun rate this post as useful

reply to this thread