Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

non-paid ward taxes effect working visa? 2015/3/6 10:36
Quick Details:
Worked here in 2010, quit and still lived here in 2011 without working.

Somehow racked up about 240,000(including non-payment penalties) in ward taxes in the 2011 time period.

Left the country and now coming back to work. Company is going to attempt to get a work visa for me.

Could the non-paid ward taxes prevent me from getting a work visa? It is possible for me to pay them, but would cause a major hurt to my financial situation to do so now, would only like to pay it all at once if it seems a necessary in getting the visa.
by dogsten (guest)  

Re: non-paid ward taxes effect working visa? 2015/3/6 12:12
Somehow = You lived here in 2011 tax year, so combined local taxes of around 10% on your previous year's taxable income are due. Also, if you didn't compete exit process properly, there might be some other nasty surprises to come.

Will the visa issuers know, probably. Will it effect your application, possibly.Depends on how joined up the systems are.
If the ward has reported you as a non=payer, you also might get picked up on entry when your fingerprints are scanned. You could be held by immigration until you pay up or they might just deny you entry.
More likely, they won't notice, but you'll be able to enter. However, as soon as you get paid, they could wipe your bank account to recover money. (government debt so they can seize your assets without warning).

They are usually understanding of debts and if you talk to them, they might build you a gentle repayment plan. Basically, if you do come back to Japan, you're going to have to repay this.
by Mr Shippy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: non-paid ward taxes effect working visa? 2015/3/6 12:17
Great Thanks for the reply,

I've come here plenty of times as a tourist since then so immigration is not a problem. I do plan to repay it sometime.

The question is is it worth it to take the huge financial hit now to smooth over the visa process. Or will I be alright to get over here and then work on repayment plan which is better for me in terms of funding...
by dogsten (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: non-paid ward taxes effect working visa? 2015/3/6 12:27
If you've been over and they didn't ding you when the fingerprints were scanned, then were is a good chance that immigration hasn't been informed about this. So you should be golden to get a visa and enter.
If you make the running and offer repayment as soon as you can, you're likely to get a better deal and stop any more fines accumulating.
Though I think it would take a while to catch up with you after arrival until you get into the tax system proper.

*This is speculation and I would recommend that you talk to them before you come and try to reach a legal settlement*
by Mr Shippy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread