Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese language for older people 2015/3/27 02:16
Does anyone know any language school (in Tokyo or any major city) more geared to adults? I am thinking about taking some time off work and study Japanese for a few months. The only problem is, I am now in my late 20's, so I will probably feel very old compared with the other students at a typical language school.
by MNP (guest)  

Re: Japanese language for older people 2015/4/5 08:59
Are you serious? what kind of person lets their age become a factor?
by Stored (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese language for older people 2015/4/5 10:11
Lol, since when is 20s considered old?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese language for older people 2015/4/5 13:06
I've never heard of the type of school you're looking for, and I don't believe there is much of a demand or need for a language school for "older" people to exist. Most students are probably in their early to late 20's, but many schools have people from a variety age groups. I joined a language school a little over a year ago when I was 30, and I have another 2 classmates that are in their 30s, and another in their early 40s, so I think your worries are a little but unreasonable. Even though you're likely to be older than average, late 20s is not that old, and it would be a shame to miss out on an opportunity because you feel self concious about being 5 or so years older than other people.
by Umechan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese language for older people 2015/4/5 15:07
When I read the thread title I thought it was going to be about elderly people or something...

How exactly is late 20s too old? Most of the people in a language school are probably in their 20s too. Sure you might be a few years older, but it's not really a big deal.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese language for older people 2015/4/6 13:48
Check out this website, don't think they have an age limit. and they are right next to Kawasaki station.

cbcjpn.jp/english/guidance
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese language for older people 2015/4/6 19:17
Check out this website, don't think they have an age limit.

I don't think any Japanese school have any specific age limits. One of the teachers at my school once taught a student who was in their 60s. Student's like that are incredibly rare, but it would make no sense for a school to refuse entry to people in their late 20s. From looking at that website, I can't personally see any reason for someone who's older than average to consider that school over all others.

Re: Japanese language for older people 2015/4/7 10:13
From what I can tell this title should be changed to 'younger people'.

Sure, some teenagers take an extra language for interest, but the majority of people who study an extra language are those with a deep interest or for work. So, you would probably be one of the youngersters [sic] in the group.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese language for older people 2015/4/7 11:09
@Umechan
Some Japanese language schools do have age limits. For example if you look at the admission policies for Fukuoka Language College (http://www.f-seikei.com/english/Regular-Forms/Admission-Guideline.pdf)
It says "Applicants must be 18 or over. High school graduates must be 22 or under.
Community college graduates must be 23 or under. College/University graduates must
be 25 or under."
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese language for older people 2015/4/7 22:41
Some Japanese language schools do have age limits. For example if you look at the admission policies for Fukuoka Language College

I admit it's a bit of a generalisation to so none of of have age limits, however Fukuoka Language College is technically a Higher Education College, and not a standard language school, and they therefore have different visa requirements compared to most standard schools. FFLC has no relevance to the OPs enquiry anyway, as the OP wants to study for a few months, and FFLC requires you to study for at least 1.5 years. Maybe there are some short term programmes that have age limits, but most of the ones at major schools don't have them.

Re: Japanese language for older people 2015/4/8 10:06
@Umechan

The only reasons I suggested the OP check out the website I wrote was because 1. it is very convenient to Tokyo, being adjacent to Kawasaki station, and 2. it has short term courses of three months, that can be studied while on a tourist visa, thus making it easier for a visitor.. they do not have to get a student visa.
As far as age went, sure, its not only focused to Adults of any specific age.

My suggestion was only that, a suggestion, to check out the website.
The OP's call entirely.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread