Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Question about Japan Name Change Law 2015/4/25 00:57
I wish to inquire about how foreigners can legally change their name in Japan. I want to state beforehand that this is not in any way related to name change due to marriage or family. This is also not about merely changing the writing of a foreign English name into Katakana. I want to ask about the eligibility and process of legally changing names just because a foreigner wants to adopt a native Japanese name.

I'll lay out three cases, and I want to know the legal name change eligibility of a foreigner in each of the cases, and if eligible, the process by which the name change can be acquired.

Case 1: The foreigner only has a student visa, no permanent residency, and no naturalized citizenship.

Case 2: The foreigner has permanent residency, but no naturalized citizenship.

Case 3: The foreigner has naturalized citizenship.

Follow-up discussion for Case 1: If name change without naturalized citizenship is possible, I wouldn't mind if my current citizenship won't recognize my new name, as long as it's my legal name in Japan, i.e., banks and legal institutions recognize me by my Japanese name.

Follow-up discussion for Case 2: I'd like to know how to acquire permanent residency.

Follow-up discussion for Case 3: I'd like to know if there are alternative ways to legally change my name without resorting to naturalization.
by anon6283185 (guest)  

Re: Question about Japan Name Change Law 2015/4/25 09:42
I believe naturalization requires a kanji name, though most people adapt their given name. I'm not sure if you can change your name all together except in your country of origin, but residents can have an official registered alias (for example, if a person gets married and has to change their name they can register an alias to keep working under their unmarried name). Registered aliases can be used on official documents and for banking etc. Many zainichi Koreans use japanese aliases to avoid job discrimination.

Permanent residency does not require a name change.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question about Japan Name Change Law 2015/4/25 12:08
If you are not Japanese then you can only change your name by changing according to the procedures in your own country, then showing Japanese immigration a passport in your new name. Although, you won't be able to use kanji unless the official documents from your own country also use kanji.

If you naturalize to Japanese, you can change your name and use kanji, or kana characters, the same as any other Japanese. This can be similar sounding to your previous name, or something entirely different.

Instead of changing your name, you could register a legal alias in Japan, that can be used in certain circumstances.
by Lady Kodaira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread