Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visiting Higashiyama in Kyoto 2015/7/1 18:43
Hello.
I plan to visit Kyoto October 7 -10. I know that until the 8'th it's chinese golden week. Last time I was in Kyoto it was during the chinese golden week and Kyoto was a NIGHTMARE! no matter we went there were so many people it was unbearable.
I planned to go to Higashiyama area on the 7'th - that's one day before the golden week ends on the one hand, but on the other hand it's wednesday and not weelend.
If I changed my plans so that on the 7'th I will instead go to Arashiyama area and go to Higashiyama on the 10'th (which is Saturday....), would it be less crowded?
I need some advice :)

Thank you!
by simbbam  

Re: Visiting Higashiyama in Kyoto 2015/7/2 04:44
Dont know how much worse it gets on those dates, but if you are meaning the Kiyomizudera area, it is always crowded. We were there in late April this year and it was riddled with people, the worst I've seen in several visits. We have previously visited every time we are in Kyoto, but this put us off, the crowds were just phenomenal.

But IMO it is always worse on a weekend, so I'd go on the Wednesday. I dont think that Chinese golden week is going to make much difference, it was crammed with Chinese when we were there this year, and it has seemed very popular with them for several years. I can remember waiting for a half hour at the water spout thing at Kiyomizudera for a cup of water while a truckload of chinese tourists filled up multiple bottles of water each in front of me, and that was probably 4 years ago now.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Higashiyama in Kyoto 2015/7/2 05:55
Thank you for the answer. Yes I do mean the Kitomizudera area.
Well I guess April is one of the most crowded times to be in Kyoto, isn't it the Sakura season? I wouldn't wanna be anywhere near Kyoto that time of year.

by simbbam rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Higashiyama in Kyoto 2015/7/2 07:58
Hi, no, it was after sakura though there were a couple of the trees still in flower here and there. Kyoto itself was pretty quiet. We went off to Tofukuji and Fushimi Inari and there were people around but not huge amounts, but Kiyomizudera was just a crush and it has been that way the last few times we've been, whether in April, June, or December.

We used to go up and see mainly Japanese, have a walk through the temple precinct, a drink from the waterfall thing, lunch in the main street and do some shopping. Now it is just a sea of overseas tourists who tend to be much ruder and pushier than the Japanese, you can barely see anything with the crush of people, there are lines everywhere for food, and most of the shops are selling cheap stuff. There are still some nice shops there, though.

by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread