Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yakushima in 1, 5 days 2015/7/16 04:45
Hi,
Never been to Yakushima but as I will be visiting southern Kyushu in the next autumn I thought of making a visit to Yakushima.

As I don't have so many days to spend in Japan though I thought of doing a 1,5 - 2 day visit.

Taking the early ferry or speed boat from Kagoshima around 7, arriving around 10 or 12 (if ferry), spending the day hiking, staying in a hut or hostel, next day more hiking before finally returning to Kagoshima by the 15 speed boat.

Think it is doable?
by Yakku (guest)  

Re: Yakushima in 1, 5 days 2015/7/16 12:21
It's doable, but things are slow and spread out on Yakushima, so you won't be able to get much sightseeing/hiking in. You could probably either spend half a day at Shiratani Unsuikyo and half a day at Yakusugi Land, or if you plan well you might be able to do the hike to Jomonsugi in an overnight.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima in 1, 5 days 2015/7/16 15:46
I dont really get you. Are your numbers indicative of the time or the day or the duration it takes to travel.

Regardless, each hike takes anywhere from three to ten hours. If you start early in the day you can do the long 10 hour hike. But there are more hikes in Yakushima than those listed on the website. Do check out a Yakushima tour or hiking guide website for more information. Some comes with maps too.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima in 1, 5 days 2015/7/17 00:44
Hi,
Sorry about being unclear.

I speak about the times. I was not sure about the exact times of departure and arrival of the ferries, so only wrote the hour.

Leaving by jetfoil by 07.30 or ferry by 08.30, arriving in Yakushima around 10.00 or 12.30.

Leaving from Yakushima around 17.00 by jetfoil.

It might be possible to make it a 2,5 day, but as I come from Osaka the day before I might end up in Yakushima until 17.30, but a full day of hiking as follows, as well as another half day after that.

I am not sure if I got the guts to walk for 10 hours though.

Are there any buses arriving before sunrise to access the Jomonsugi? Or should I rely on a tour?

Can I rent equipment for the long hike, as my rain gear and boots are probably not good enough for such long hikes.

Can I find some maps online covering all the hiking routes? I only found some for specific areas, like this for instance:
http://www.japan-swiss.ch/images/shirataniunsuikyo2.jpg
by Yakku (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread