Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Using spike crampons in Tateyama 2015/7/29 05:01
Hi,
When it gets cold and slippery from ice at the streets at home during winter I use some kind of simpler spike crampons that can be put on the underside of the shoe. It prevents slipping in most cases, though when inside or on non slippery places it makes noise.

They look like this
http://hjarnskadad.se/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/broddar1.jpg

Anyway. I heard it might be snow up in Murodo of Tateyama Alpine Route, but as I dont want to bring some heavy winter boots I thought of using these instead over my regular walking shoes. Can such spikes be bought in Japan or should I bring them from home?
by Alex (guest)  

Re: Using spike crampons in Tateyama 2015/7/29 14:10
I wouldn't see why not as long as you take them off before entering stores, shops, restaurants, etc and as long as you keep an eye out not to leave scratches on the pavement, marble that is sometimes used can be pretty soft, for instance. If somebody objects, you can always politely take them off.

I would bring them from home, the last thing you want to do is hunt for these kind of things in the right size when you need them.
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using spike crampons in Tateyama 2015/7/29 17:53
I mostly thougher of using then outside Murodo station if there is snow on ground and want to go to the huts.

In case they would broke (they have done so before, the rubber around the shoes dried out), or they are lost with possible lost luggage, is there a name for these in Japanese?

It ought to be alla to find around Tateyama I hope since of the ski areas.
by Alex (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using spike crampons in Tateyama 2015/7/30 04:39
They are called "Spikes" "Crampons" and "Snow Chains" in katakana-ized English - "スノー アイススパイク" = "Sno- Aisu Spaigu" *** ”クランポン”="Kuranpon" *** "スノーチェーン" = "Sno-Cheen"
http://goo.gl/eWoY0A

The snow spikes are those stretchy rubber things with small metal tabs (that you often leave behind in the deep snow). The "chains" are are kind of like Yak-Trax except they use small real chains instead of springs, and crampons are the real thing, from 4 spikes just under the center of your boot to the 10 and 12.

I would take some with you. You have to find an outdoor shop that carries this kind of thing which isn't that easy. There's one in Shin-Okubo in Tokyo if you're in that area. Unless you're going hiking on a snow covered trail on the mountainside, I wouldn't worry too much unless you're wearing leather-soled dress shoes. If you are going off the main route into the back country, I would take real crampons and an ice ax and possibly snow shoes.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using spike crampons in Tateyama 2015/7/30 05:19
I am not going to Tokyo before visiting Tateyama so I'll bring some with me. I just dont like the idea of lost luggage, thats why I was wondering.

I wont go the main trail though, perhaps up to the Raizo huts if the weather is not too bad.

Leather-soled dress shoes? I thought rubber would be better on ice, but maybe I was wrong on that :)
by Alex (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread