Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is $500 enough for spending money? 2015/8/2 15:40
Hello :D
I'm going to Japan for the first time for a two week exchange from my school in Australia to Mie prefecture.
Plane tickets, food, accommodation, transport have already been taken care of. I will be following my host sister around school and be with my host family on weekends. My school group and I are going to Kyoto for 3 days (probably the only time we can spend more time than usual for shopping).
I'm hoping to buy souvenirs (mostly Japanese snacks, nothing overly expensive), anime, manga and voice actor related merch (books, magazines, CDs, etc.), clothes and shoes (mostly t-shirts and runners, I don't usually shop a lot for clothes) and food (mostly drinks and snacks, meals once in a while). I'm limited to $500 (approx. 45 000 yen as of 2nd August 2015) for the 2 weeks (not allowed to bring more). Would this be enough money? As for my spending habits, I'm the conservative kind so this would probably be the first time in my life I'm gonna spend this much money but once I really want/like something I do get a bit overboard. Sorry if I'm being too vague ahahaha ^^;

Also, may I please have suggestions for what shops I could go to buy the things I listed above? It'd be great of they were shops that are large franchises that can be found at a lot of places (e.g. Animate hahaha that's the only place I know right now) because I'll be spending most of my time away from the massive cities and I'll be at Kyoto for only 3 days.

THANK YOU XD
by Confused Highschooler (guest)  

Re: Is $500 enough for spending money? 2015/8/2 19:17
Would $500 be enough for you if you were in Australia ?

prices in Japan are about the same as Australia .

If you are limited to $500 cash take a card just as a back up
by laurie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is $500 enough for spending money? 2015/8/3 05:22
For two weeks that might be stretching it for the stuff you want to buy. The area around Kyoto Station and Kawaramachi are probably the places to buy the usual shoes and t-shirts.

The message didn't say anything about visiting the temples and shrines, where you might find more of those tacky souvenirs. Souvenirs are actually reasonably priced and can range from 100 yen for post cards up to 500-600 yen for key chains. Also, Most, if not all, temples have some sort of admission fee, typically around 500 yen which is reasonable.

In terms of snacks it is pretty cheap. You will find the matcha green tea kit kats from Uji and they sell for around 800 yen. Most snacks are way cheaper than that, selling around 200-300 yen.

Not sure how much voice actor merch or manga might cost. Also, most places may not accept CC unless in a dept store or major outlet, but bring the CC in case.
by Villagemayor rate this post as useful

Re: Is $500 enough for spending money? 2015/8/3 11:39
I'm sorry but I don't think $500 AU would be sufficient. I certainly wouldn't send my daughter for a two week homestay with just AU$500. It's enough cash to start your travels with but you need a backup supply of some sort. As the other posters said take a credit card, if you have one in your name or your parents can get you added as a subsidiary to their card. You can use it if necessary, credit cards are much more acceptable nowadays. However I don't think the "cheap"souvenir shops would take it, but ticket offices and department stores and supermarkets certainly do.
What about a travel card that cash can be loaded onto before you leave home in yen, most banks have them now, and what you don't use can be used back in Australia?
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is $500 enough for spending money? 2015/8/3 17:11
Fellow Aussie here and frequent Japan visitor.

For t-shirts go to UNIQLO- I've bought great 100% cotton shirts there for around $10 that have different designs and wash and wear really well- think shirts that people say "oh I like your shirt where'd you get it?" and you get to say "Japan!!" and then launch into a happy Japan story. UNIQLO is very popular store and should be easy to locate one.

Shoes to keep within your budget try ABC-Mart- heaps of these all over the place.

Snacks can be bought at the local supermarket or convenience store- price varies very little in Japan- not like Australia.

I shop at Amazon Japan and have it delivered to my hotel- that could work for you if the school rule is no more than $500. Although when my son was on exchange it was mentioned that it was polite to check with the host family first if it was OK to have a parcel delivered.

So pay with a CC and have delivered to your host family.

So at Amazon you can get all sorts- bulk KitKat and Meiji chocolate- Pocky etc. Also Manga and toys are at Amazon and shoes and clothing- pretty much everything.

The only thing I would caution having given you these tips is please don't over pack when you come from AUS- you need room for all your cool finds! Remember your host family will have a washing machine so pack as little as you can safely get away with and wash more.

Have a great trip- I'm sure it will be the first of many.

Oh and presents for your host family? you didn't ask but I'll add Tim Tams in the new flavours not the basic ones and Arnotts savoury snack biscuits - you know like BBQ shapes or chicken crimpy? Bit different but well received when my so has done exchanges.
by Jojo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is $500 enough for spending money? 2015/8/3 18:54
If everything is provided for, Except that three days in Kyoto; 500 is enough. A basic meal can cost from 120 yen to 1000 yen. Meaning allocating a hundred for food and transport within Kyoto is enough. You'll have 400 for goodies and snacks.

Shopping areas include Kyoto station mall, teramachi, and shijo for department stores. Clothes and shoes. Chocolates and coffee. Etc.

For more traditional like Kyoto snacks and Kyoto haute cuisine, try gion or arashiyama.

If you want something special, go to uji town. It's within Kyoto prefecture but outside Kyoto city. It is known for two things. The tale of genji and green tea. Green tea tasting is widely available. From gokuro, to hojicha. Matcha and sencha. Also matcha green tea kit kats are sourced here. Lastly, if you like anime, note that kyoani (Kyoto animation) hq is here.

Forgot to mention transport costs. A bus ride is about 220 yen. Trains within Kyoto are 130 yen to no more than 400 yen. When you first enter Kyoto station, there is a Kyoto bus centre. You could purchase a 2 or 3 day bus pass for unlimited bus travels. Buses are not as fast as the subway but is cheaper and you don't have to worry about transferring trains. (All buses for Kyoto bus centre/train station goes to every attraction in major Kyoto. Though not all attractions has buses each other. Still you can get to some interesting place.). There are train passes too.

Enjoy yourself. If you are curious on where to go or visit do ask. If after school you want to do some light tours befor getting home, also let us know. JG will help you.
by JOSHUA hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread