Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How would I arrange a police ride-along? 2015/8/17 05:36
I am a police applicant in my home country (Canada) and one of the things I enjoy doing when on vacation for the last couple years is either going on a ride-along or shadowing an officer for a shift, just to see how things are different. I've had some interesting experiences around the US and Europe as a result.

I also did a big thesis paper in college about how variations of the koban/chuzaisho system could be implemented in Canadian police forces to improve community policing.

Since I am going to Japan in May of next year with my husband (also a police applicant), I know one thing we would really like to do is be able to shadow an officer for a shift (I know american style ride-alongs are not a thing there).

Problem is, I have no contacts, and speak minimal Japanese, so figuring out the japanese NPA websites and contacts is confusing. Does anyone know if this is possible or have any ideas of who I could contact? We will be mostly staying in Kyoto, but Osaka would be an option as well.
by Janna (guest)  

Re: How would I arrange a police ride-along? 2015/8/18 00:23
Here are the contact details for the police in Kyoto and Osaka respectively, but they both answer only by phone. They won't answer by email.

http://www.pref.kyoto.jp/fukei/site/koho_k/iken_yobo/index.html
http://www.police.pref.osaka.jp/09form/

Meanwhile, the Osaka police website had a link for the non-Japanese and it led to the Prefectural Government's information corner for foreigners.
http://www.pref.osaka.lg.jp/annai/madoguchi/detail.php?recid=566

As shown, their email address is
jouhou-c@ofix.or.jp

Hope your trip will be fullfilling!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How would I arrange a police ride-along? 2015/8/18 08:42
are you joking ?
if you are sent from the officials, the government, they may take care of.
if not, I am sure that those contacts will embarrass them.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How would I arrange a police ride-along? 2015/8/18 09:00
As Ken said, I do not think this will happen. I remember reading a news in Japanese newspaper 3 or 4 years ago about 2 visiting US cops (1 male and 1 female). They visited a police station, pictures were taken with Japanese cops however the Japanese side rejected the idea of making a police ride-along.

I will try to find the link because I remember reading one comment under the news from someone jocking (offensive way) about the US cops suggesting they wanted to visit Roppongi in uniform to shoot one or two black people.
by guest who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How would I arrange a police ride-along? 2015/8/18 09:03
You could write in with a request, but I find it extremely unlikely that they'd accommodate you. You are not yet a police officer, right? And the request comes from an individual(s), not from the Canadian law enforcement. If you were doing another thesis paper and the request came officially from the Canadian college, there might be a chance, but not really likely.

Even when a local TV crew follows a police car for a mission, I believe they are extremely clear on stay out of the action, don't talk to the police officers, if you film anything cover the license plates when showing, etc. Also you'd need to have your own vehicle to follow them - someone following a police car would be extremely bothersome for the officers in the first place - and what would you do if they need to tell you something and you don't understand the local language?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How would I arrange a police ride-along? 2015/8/18 15:40
I agree with the other posts. I cannot imagine the local police even entertaining the idea of ride-a-longs. You are a civilian. They have work to do and babysitting is not one of them.
by couldabeen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How would I arrange a police ride-along? 2015/8/19 09:01
Well, I do agree that a "ride-a-longs" is most likely not possible, but I thought it didn't hurt to express support for the koban system, because the last time I talked to the police they were pretty discouraged about the downsizing of the system.

The police also organize various events for the public such as traffic rule lessons, so maybe you can participate in one of those things and chat with a policeman by hiring a goodwill guide in advance or something.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How would I arrange a police ride-along? 2015/8/29 15:13
Thanks for the contact info Uco, I will try that.

It was mostly the language that I think will be a problem. Having been on several ride-alongs, I am well versed in keeping my mouth shut and staying out of the way when things go down, unless the officer asks for assistance. No babysitting needed here :)
by Janna (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread