Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How do japanese people react to tourists? 2015/8/23 20:55
Sorry if this question seems rude or something but I am a bit curious about how local japanese people react to foreign tourists they see and meet in Japan.

I heard a rumor that many elderly Japanse people assume you are from America if you look non-Asian (many people actually asked me the question when I was in the rural areas) and haven't said anything about it yet.

I know there are extreme right-wing people who hates foreigners, but I will let them out of this discussion please.
by Beh (guest)  

Re: How do japanese people react to tourists? 2015/8/24 08:31
I don't even understand the question at all. What do you mean by "and haven't said anything about it yet"?
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How do japanese people react to tourists? 2015/8/24 10:20
Most people are totally indifferent. Especially if you are in major cities or those which are accustomed to having tourists visit. If you are in the boondocks (read: middle of nowhere), people will notice you and glance at you. It's nothing but curiosity. If you engage people in conversation, most of them will respond to the basic expressions, yes.

I've never run into people whose political views would be contrary to my presence in their country.

I've had nothing but positive responses to any interactions I've had with people all over Japan.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: How do japanese people react to tourists? 2015/8/24 17:08
How do people from your country react to tourists??

Doesn't the reaction change depending on the circumstances? Sometimes you see foreigners behaving stupidly and you feel disgusted. Other times you see them enthralled by things you take for granted or really trying to learn about some aspect of the culture or history and feel happy to see such a thing.

Reactions to Chinese tourists and hearing Chinese may skewed slightly negative compared to others, as many Japanese characterize them as being "loud" but there are generally too many factors to say, "The Japanese feel THIS WAY about foreign tourists."
by red (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do japanese people react to tourists? 2015/8/24 17:35
Oh, now I get it. You're saying that even if you haven't said anything about you being American, the Japanese will assume you are. Yes, that's true to a certain extent. My son has natural pale hair/skin and everyone used to think he's "Amerika-jin," although his ancestors all come from Japan as far as I know.

But I think things are changing a little bit, because we're having more people from different countries. In truth, however, U.S. citizens share the top expat population in many parts of Japan (perhaps because of the location/relationship of our countries).

Generally speaking, like it is in any country, I feel that the local Japanese like to welcome and entertain foreign tourists from any country. I mean, who doesn't want to entertain guests who aren't even after our money? But that's unless they're a huge group. Regardless of the country or nationality, tourist groups are very often annoying. The Japanese used to travel like that a lot in the '70-80s, too, and were thought to be annoying.

Re: How do japanese people react to tourists? 2015/8/24 18:40
Everyone has different experiences, but I'm yet to meet a person in Japan who hates foreigners. People are normally friendly or nonchalant and only look annoyed if we are doing something which is annoying or annoying by Japanese standards (such as talking loudly on the train into a phone etc)

It's true that there is some animosity towards some nationalities such the Korea/China but every country in the world has some type of dispute with another country.

As such - Japan is just like all countries. People are people. Some people are nice - some are not. Some are very welcoming - some are not.

It was also mentioned that you might get stared at slightly in rural areas - but the upside is that the hospitality I've received in rural Japan is almost second to none out of the 40 or so countries I've travelled around.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: How do japanese people react to tourists? 2015/8/24 21:25
Beh,

Don,t be curious-Japanese people are good and friendly--Most of the people are busy in there work they don,t have time to notice you--
by Go Go (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do japanese people react to tourists? 2015/8/25 20:21
The term American is just the way old Japanese call Westerners.
Once you befriend them they ask you which country you are from.
So don't feel "offended" .
Old generations never saw foreigners except for American soldiers.
Youngsters will simply say "gakko" as they are used to travel and see foreigners.
Consider that foreigners only started to come to Japan regularly about 30 years ago so it will still take time before Japanese society will get accustomed to a cosmopolitan population.

by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do japanese people react to tourists? 2015/8/26 13:58
Now, that is quite an exaggeration if not a misinterpretation of our culture and history.

reply to this thread