Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Daytrip somewhere between Akita and Nara 2015/8/24 17:54
Hi,

I'm looking for a place to stay a night and 1/2 day(s) as an intermediate stop between Akita and Nara. The train ride is so long I want to stop somewhere in between for a night. So I thought I could also visit something in between.
Tokyo area is off the table as I am there before visiting Akita.

Can you recommend any places in between that are easy to reach by public transport? Something to see the countryside rather than cities would be preferable.

Thanks!
by WortPirat  

Re: Daytrip somewhere between Akita and Nara 2015/8/25 11:50
I assume you're taking the Shinkansen from Akita to Nara, then? I mean, you don't want to stop in Tokyo, but it's the most logical place as that's where your train transfer happens. Do you have a JR pass? You could take the Komachi to Tokyo, then transfer to the Hokuriku Shinkansen and head to Karuizawa or even Kanazawa.

Or go ahead and catch the Tokaido Shinkanesen in Tokyo and head to Nagoya, which puts you closer to Nara for your next day of travel.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip somewhere between Akita and Nara 2015/8/25 12:33

When are you travelling ? Something could be worth visiting a long your passage to Nara .
by Shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip somewhere between Akita and Nara 2015/8/25 14:50
Thanks for your answers!
I plan to leave Akita on October 18th. I possess a Japan Rail Pass so I could take the Shinkansen. But do not necessarily have to. I just do not want to sit in a train for more than 4 hours. And Akita - Nara would be at least 8 hours according to Hyperdia. (Although I'm not sure if I stay in Nara, Osaka or somewhere convenient to visit the Nara region).
I know Tokyo is the most logical place but I travel from Tokyo to Akita. And I will stay in Tokyo for 6 days. That is why I don't want to stop there again, if possible.
Of course that will be the fallback solution. I'm sure there will be still enough to see after 6 days of a stay ;)
by WortPirat rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip somewhere between Akita and Nara 2015/8/25 15:13
As Tokyo is the halfway point, if you stopover somewhere else you're going to end up on a train for more than 4 hours on one of those days.

For stopovers, perhaps Sendai, Atami, or Shizuoka?
by Mon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip somewhere between Akita and Nara 2015/8/25 15:37
I thought about maybe the Mount Bandai area, Urubandai. It seems to be beautiful and the travel from Akita is not too long.
But it might be a hassle to get there again... :/
I didn't look it up yet.
by WortPirat rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip somewhere between Akita and Nara 2015/8/25 15:39
Options include Nagoya, Kyoto, Kanazawa, Yokohama or just search through a map to find the lists of shinkansen stations along the way.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip somewhere between Akita and Nara 2015/8/25 16:16
I think Kanazawa will be a pleasant option bypassing Tokyo. Although it takes about 6 - 6.5 hours but it's on comfortable Shinkansen all the way with one interchange at Omiya.

Then it's about 3.5 hours from Kanazawa to Nara (or Kyoto in just over 2 hours)
by CaiDY rate this post as useful

reply to this thread