Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Living standard expectation in Yokohama 2015/9/1 20:04
I'll eventually get a job paid 365,000 yens / months (after taxes) in Yokohama. I wonder what kind of comfort of living I can expect from that? If I move alone or if I move with my gf which will probably not be working there...? I'm currently earning 2500€/month in Germany (in a small town, cheap rent), will I have more or less comfort in Japan with that salary?

thanks a lot for your answers!
by DrFolAmour (guest)  

Re: Living standard expectation in Yokohama 2015/9/2 18:48
Note that there is no "girlfriend" visa, if you are not married and your girlfriend wants to live in Japan with you, she will have to get a visa of her own, such as a work or student visa.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Living standard expectation in Yokohama 2015/9/2 20:07
In Japan, the rent is approximately 1/3 of the salary is said ideal.
So, it is up to about 120,000yen.
Although different depending on whether live in any line of Yokohama, if 120 000yen will be rented.
Perhaps, near the station of Denentoshi line and station of Toyoko line ,price is high.
In addition, Minato Mirai district and the Yamate-cho, Honmoku also price is high.
Perhaps the company is, or will not there be such properties that have as company housing.
For more information is a good idea to have heard the company.
For rent, please these sites try to reference.
https://suumo.jp/tokushu/foreigner/english/
http://agharta-japan.biz/
http://best-estate.jp/en/kanto/
http://www.able.co.jp/international/en.html
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Living standard expectation in Yokohama 2015/9/2 21:57
That amount sounds like a decent amount (seeing particularly it's after taxes). But it also depends on your expectations for lifestyle and accommodation (how much space you want, how long you are willing to commute, and if the company is going to help you get set up, if the company is going to reimburse you for commuting expenses, etc.).

Couples here do manage easily within that salary for sure.

As Firas mentioned, your gf will need to get a visa on her own, or can stay only up to 3 (or 6) months on Temporary Visitor status.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Living standard expectation in Yokohama 2015/9/2 22:05
Thanks for your answers!
I guess I'll have to propose to my gf then... The company is offering something like 200,000 additional yens the first month to get set up. But then nothing else. I'm not the kind of person to spend a lot of money, I don't go to expensive places and I'm fine living in a 40 sqm apartment! Is it possible to find a small (but well situated and nice) apartment for 120,000 yens a month in Yokohama?
by DrFolAmour (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Living standard expectation in Yokohama 2015/9/2 22:34
If you are getting bonus 2 times a year and transportation fee for the train/bus to your work place, that sounds like a pretty good deal for a single person with no family. But I'm afraid that 40sqm is not a tiny place for a bachelor in greater Tokyo. Some locals even live with kids in that space.

You can save your rent by looking for places further from train stations, or in hilly Yokohama you can try to find places downhill. Other cheaper apartments are those that do not get much southern sunlight during winter, but you don't want to do that, because no sunlight in Japan means more mold. Also, be sure that there are cheap groceries in your neighborhood.

If your expectations aren't too high, and if you don't insist on eating German food all the time, you can live a pretty good life eating quality pork and vegetables in a 40sqm-ish apartment. By the way, housing in Japan is usually unfurnished. Also note that Yokohama is very big, so be sure you live along a commutable train line. Kawasaki can be a good option too.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Living standard expectation in Yokohama 2015/9/2 22:49
My understanding of prices are 12 months out of date (I used to live in Yokohama) but it is doable.

A comment above about housing being unfurnished is a very important thing. This means the apartment is entirely empty. You will even need to buy the light fittings which will cost you a lot of money.

You should be able to get a place for around 120,000. I used to pay 132,000 a month for a 80 square meter place a 5-6 minute bike ride from Motomachi Chugukai. Do note the further you are from the train station the better value the apartment. Investing in a bike early (with baskets) will make your life much easier. I owned an electric bike and this became my main method of transport.

The comment about having cheap groceries is also important. When you find a place you like, go for a good walk around the location to make sure that you like the location and it has the shops that you may use.

Personally, I think the wage would allow a couple to live reasonably comfortably but would not allow for much savings specifically because of the current weak yen.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Living standard expectation in Yokohama 2015/9/4 12:48
The rental prices decreased after the 2011 earthquake, but seem to have bounced back.
You would be struggling to find a 40sqm apartment for 120,000 yen close to a train station, so a bike makes it easier to extend your radius. .....I'm talking mainly about areas closest to the Minato Mirai Line, and the JR Negishi line as far as Negishi. If you go further down towards Isogo and beyond, it may be easier to get something in your price range. Otherwise, back along the Tokyu Toyoko line to Kikuna, or along the Yokohama Blue subway line, or the JR Yokohama Line towards Hashimoto might find something in that range.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread