Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Adjusting an official photograph 2015/10/6 12:54
Is there a reason why, in Japan, when taking an official photograph, they insist that the mouth be closed?

My toddler didn't understand to close her mouth when taking her passport photo, so after the photo was taken, the photographer adjusted the photo on the computer to make her lips longer as if to make her mouth closed! I was appalled!!! I suppose if I only glance at the photo, I might not think anything, but if I look at it for a few seconds, I can tell something is not quite right.

Also, is it legal for the photographer to have done so? This photographer was not part of any government agency, but was just a photography store owner/worker.

I suppose I should have question it at the time, but because I was with someone helping me to get the photograph taken, I didn't want to make waves, and just let it go. But now it's still bothering me.
by menj (guest)  

Re: Adjusting an official photograph 2015/10/6 14:12
There's a similar rule here in Australia; you're not allowed to smile in a passport photo. I think it's because of the new automatic gates they've installed at Customs that read your face electronically (i.e., you get checked by a computer, not a person) and a computer may not be able to read a smiling face as easily. Still, I know a few people who have smiled slightly in their photos and they didn't have them corrected!

Maybe go back to the store and ask?
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Adjusting an official photograph 2015/10/6 14:23
It lookd more natural while your toddler's mouse is closed. It can be accepted as a legal document so I suppose the photographer did that.
You can take you child's legal photo on yourself. Lay down your child on the bed and take it there. Take the photo file or negative to photo lab and adjust the size. Ask the legal requirements of photo in your country(embassy etc).
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Adjusting an official photograph 2015/10/6 15:10
We aren't allowed to smile on Canadian passport photos either ..
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Adjusting an official photograph 2015/10/7 07:46
I can understand about the not smiling part, but it is very possible too keep the mouth open while not smiling. So why correct it then? (My toddler was not smiling at all.)
by menj (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Adjusting an official photograph 2015/10/7 10:55
The photographer was probably acting in what he thought was your best interest if he thought the passport agency may not accept the photo as is... but he should also know that the requirements say that the picture should not be obviously manipulated.

Have you already submitted the picture with your application? If not then why not go get it redone somewhere else or do it yourself.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Adjusting an official photograph 2015/10/7 14:24
There are very strict rules/laws about passport photos these days in most countries, I'm sure the photographer fixed it so your photo was accepted instead of having to come back.

The Japanese law states: " The applicant is not allowed to show the teeth and the facial expressions in the photographs. So, the mouth of the applicant should be closed with neutral expressions on the face"

https://www.epassportphoto.com/blog/2008/06/japanese-passport-photo-sp...
by Hoshisato rate this post as useful

Re: Adjusting an official photograph 2015/10/7 15:55
If you're talking about photos for Japanese passports, there is no rule that your mouth should be closed.

The official Metropolitan website only says that the photo "shouldn't be severely different from how you commonly look like." Meanwhile, it does say that the photos shouldn't be "hen-kei" which translates to "changed shape."

In any case, according to the website, if they find any problems concerning the photo you present with your application, you "may be" asked to take another photo and come back. So that's the worst that can happen to you.

By the way, my Japanese son used to travel on an opened-mouth photo when he was very little in the 90s, and we never had a problem. His next passport photo was a (neatly taken) snapshot that I took of him under natural sunlight inside our home, and we never had a problem with that either.

If you're concerned, why not take another photo by yourself or in an 800 yen automatic photo booth, and bring both your photos when applying for the passport? Let the people at the bureau choose.

http://www.seikatubunka.metro.tokyo.jp/photo/
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Adjusting an official photograph 2015/10/8 09:40
Would I be refused (my license) if I were to take my Japanese driver's license photo and (respectfully, of course) insist to the photographer that my normal look is without closing my mouth? The structure of my mouth, upper lip, teeth, and chin are such that it does not naturally keep my mouth closed when at rest. If I do close it anyway, my lips naturally fall away from each other after a few seconds. I have to make a conscious effort to keep my mouth closed, and it is very uncomfortable. I do not like the way it is, but it is what it is. I know for the photo taking, I am ABLE to close my mouth, but the reason I wouldn't want to take photos with my mouth closed is that I look so unnatural from what I usually look like. And I would be greatly embarrased to have that photo on an official card that sometimes I have to display to others as identification.

Re: Adjusting an official photograph 2015/10/8 10:21
I should clarify that it would be for my *next* driver's license when it needs to be renewed. For my previous driver's licenses, they insisted that I close my mouth and I absolutely hate those photographs of me!!! But for my residence card photograph, they did not insist at all; I had no problem. So that makes me wonder if closing the mouth is not required (as long as it is not a smile).

Would it be risky to put up a fuss? I wouldn't want to be refused my license if they think I am being a troublemaker, but on the other hand, a horrible photo makes me cringe. Is the rule different for driver's license compared to residence card? If the driver's license rule requires a closed mouth, then I won't even bring it up.

And btw, it is already too late for my toddler's photo, that's already done. But next time, I think I will do it at a photo booth ourselves.

Re: Adjusting an official photograph 2015/10/8 22:00
menj,

I'm not sure if I understand your question, but the Metropolitan Police Department's official website does not say anything about forbidding photos with your mouth opened. They just say that photos of a "laughing face is inappropriate."
http://www.keishicho.metro.tokyo.jp/menkyo/menkyo/kousin/kousin02_2.ht...

Anyway, why not have your request written down in Japanese language in advance? You can present the letter to the photographer and the people in charge of issuing your license.

But to be fair, I've never met anyone who likes his/her Japanese driver's license photo. It's truly amazing how rotten they take it.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread