Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan's view on Transgender? 2015/10/7 01:31
i'm wondering about how does Japan view the transgender community? if say a FTM person chooses to go to an onsen, would there be a problem?

by Tim99  

Re: Japan's view on Transgender? 2015/10/7 18:54
So FTM transgender would be someone born with a female body, but identifies as a male, and lives as a male would, while retaining the physical features of a female? (Excuse me if I got the definition wrong...since you did not say transsexual, I assumed the above.)

Assuming that is the case, if you have female body you'd have to go into the women's bath, which would cause commotion in the changing room because I assume you'd be dressed like a man, and also would cause you pain because you'd have to share the facility intended for women.

If I were you, I would find myself an accommodation with "rent-to-yourself bath" ("kashikiri buro") or "family bath" ("kazoku buro") which I (or me with my family) can book for a time slot and use just by myself/ourselves.

Japan is coming to recognize the diverse sexual identities, but it is not that public places accommodate the wide diversity easily...
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan's view on Transgender? 2015/10/7 19:17
I think it was a week or so ago that TV news was reporting about a lecture that was held to suggest LGBT-friendly tourism. Several dozen serious hotel workers seemed to be attending to learn about how they could better accommodate LGBT, especially because it was held in Shinjuku. When I went to the beach in Shonan this summer, I saw books about LGBT on the shelf of a "umi no ie" tavern hut, and people there were chatting about their own relationships. So a lot of people are starting to learn.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread