Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Unreserved seat 2015/10/10 00:47
First of all, thank you for the information I have received for my previous questions.
I would like to make another question: when I purchase a shinkansen unreserved ticket, that ticket is for an specific train, or can I take any train in that route on a specific day?

Thank you!
by Burajirujin (guest)  

Re: Unreserved seat 2015/10/10 12:30
You've got to specify the date.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Unreserved seat 2015/10/10 13:25
For a specific day.

JR LtdExp unreserved ticket is without train, seat and car numbers info.
just with Train name and date like this.
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/kenbaiki/imgs/2/4/24b3d155.jpg
(note)
This sample is too old now unreserved ticket valid for only "one day" usual.
by AVB (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen non-reserved-seat ticket 2015/10/10 14:52
when I purchase a Shinkansen unreserved ticket, that ticket is for an specific train, or can I take any train in that route on a specific day?

Basically you can.
Exception is that you cannot choose a Shinkansen train where every seat needs to be reserved, as in
all trains of Tohoku + Akita Shinkansen Komachi,
most trains of Tohoku Shinkansen Hayabusa,
some trains of Tohoku Shinkansen Hayate
and all trains of Hokuriku Shinkansen Kagayaki.
Please make sure to catch a train which is to make a stop at the station where you hope to disembark.

When you purchase a Shinkansen non-reserved-seat ticket,
a boarding date, a Shinkansen section and the direction of the ride need to be specified.
In a case where Shinkansen cars of non-reserved seats are packed with passengers, maybe you cannot have a seat and you have to stand. (It is not likely to occur except during busy days, though.)

A Shinkansen non-reserved-seat ticket can be replaced (only) once by a Shinkansen reserved-seat ticket if you can reserve your seat and you make adjustment in payment for the Shinkansen surcharges.

And, maybe you are already aware of it, but usually you get issued two types of JR regular tickets to have a Shinkansen ride: a ticket issued in exchange for a basic fare + a Shinkansen ticket issued in exchange for a Shinkansen surcharge.
Please don't forget to purchase also a basic-fare ticket unless you can use another ticket or a rail pass instead.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Unreserved seat 2015/10/10 21:26
Thank you very much!
by Burajirujin (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread