Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Fushimi Inari - morning or evening? 2015/10/10 04:28
We will be in Kyoto at the end of November ( 20-25), and because of the crowds would like to do the highlights and more crowded places either first thing in the morning ( not sure how early is early enogh ), or later in the evening . We read that visiting Fushimi Inari is very pretty in the evening - what do you think and suggest?
And where are the places best seen in the morning/evening time?
by liath12  

Re: Fushimi Inari - morning or evening? 2015/10/10 10:33
The view of the sunset from the Yotsutsuji intersection which is near the summit is beautiful to watch. I've been there for two sunsets in the past and I've always loved it.
And the walk back down after dark is amazing. The crowds are very low and it does feel pretty eerie walking around in the dark. The only caution I'd give though is to watch your step at times. The paths are lit but it is still pretty dark.

I can't comment for the morning though. I've always wanted to but never got around to it sadly. So hopefully someone else can fill you in on what the morning visit is like.
by Kari Haruka rate this post as useful

Re: Fushimi Inari - morning or evening? 2015/10/10 11:30
I've only been in the late afternoon, but a friend went in the morning last year at 6am, and it was completely empty. As they left at 8am the crowds were starting to appear. That was in early April this year, so that can give you an idea of what a peak time will be like.
by Mon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fushimi Inari - morning or evening? 2015/10/10 12:21
I have been once in twice in the day, once in the late afternoon where i ascended to the top, and once in the evening/night.

In my opinion, it is not crowded if you arrive before 7:30 am. 8am has some people dwindling in, mostly office workers coming for prayers and the occasional early rising tourist but it is not considered crowded. It starts to get packed about 9-10 am.

Note that most other attractions in Kyoto open from 8:30 am to 9:30 am, so it may be a good idea to start Fushimi Inari trip one hour before the next attraction opens. (Even earlier if you consider breakfast)

The only exception to the above is Kitano Tenmangu which opens super duper early. Good for early rises. (So early that only taxis are in operation)

In my opinion, trips to Fushimi Inari in the evening or at night are the best. Evening due to the slow coming of dusk. Night due to the eeriness as mentioned by another poster. This adds to the mysticism of the shrine. Walking across the long stretches of red pillars is great fun. It is like entering into another dimension. If you are afraid of tripping, be at ease as there are lights along the steps.

So considering the above points.
I would go to Kitano Tenmnagu in the wee hours of the morning and then travel to the next attraction just before it opens. E.g. Kano Shrine
I would grab an onigiri from a 24 hours convenience store.
I would continue my journey and end it at Fushimi Inari 15 minutes before the sunsets.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fushimi Inari - morning or evening? 2015/10/10 20:34
i havnt been there in the early morning, but night / evening is definatly better than during the day.

the main reason is, because there are much less people. i experienced that most of the japanese people will be gone, cause i was told many of them are afraid of the "ghost" and "spirits" which roam the temple area at night. (I actually think it was a rumor spread by the priests, so they have at least one time peace of the massive touristic crowds).

so night / after dark is much more convenient cause the place will be almost empty. - if you encounter someone else, it will be most likely another american / european tourist. well... from time to time a ghost mixes among them. be careful in this case, so that the spirit will not take your soul away...
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Fushimi Inari - morning or evening? 2015/10/10 22:34
I went in the morning and it was great. Those "must have" photo opportunities were done with no one there. I got there about 6am and climbed up and back down and was done by 8:30am, when many groups were just starting to get there and crowd up the place. I'm a morning person, so the early light was best for me.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread