Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Should I stay in Asakusa or Yanaka? 2015/10/12 07:19
I've been doing a bunch of research lately for my upcoming trip to Japan later this month. There was so much I didn't understand so I didn't know what to do or where to stay.

So I studied all about the JR trains, Tokyo Metro, Prefectures, Special Wards, Districts, Cities etc. I'm still a little bit confused but at least I have a general idea of where everything is.

A little about my trip. I will be staying in Tokyo prefecture for probably 3 days, then somewhere in Kyoto and somewhere in Osaka. I have a budget of about $500 food/spending money (transportation, etc accounted for).

I wanted to get that old town feel and Asakusa and Yanaka seems to fit the bill.

However I can't decide between the two. If there is anyone here that has stayed at either or both of these places, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
by AndrewDrew  

Re: Should I stay in Asakusa or Yanaka? 2015/10/12 14:54
Asakusa is a nice place. I've been there once. 2 months ago. There is a temple there you could go to.
by Rods670 rate this post as useful

Re: Should I stay in Asakusa or Yanaka? 2015/10/12 16:19
I have stayed in Asakusa and really enjoyed it. It can be really touristy during the day; however, it is less crowded in the evening. There are also some great places to eat in Asakusa.

Hope this helps :)
by Ohara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Should I stay in Asakusa or Yanaka? 2015/10/12 16:32
I'll go for Yanaka instead. Close to the Nippori line which gives you access to the JR Yamanote line to go to all the touristy place in Tokyo (and less chances of you getting lost) amidst changing subway lines to train lines etc. You'll also have direct access from Narita airport if you're flying in/out from there.

Yanaka is rustic, has old-time charm, full of winding alleys, small shops and less touristy than Asakusa. If you like temples and cats, they've got plenty!
by MS (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread