Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Winter hiking on Rebun and Rishiri Islands 2015/10/19 00:32
Hi all,

I am planning a hiking trip to the two islands off the Wakkanai port: Rebun and Rishiri in late January, 2016.

My plan is to take a ferry in the early morning from Wakkanai, arriving in Kafuka, and check in to my hotel in Funadomari in the northern bay of Rebun island, and leave on the ferry in the afternoon of the next day for Rishiri island. There I will stay another night and leave on the ferry in the afternoon of the third day for Wakkanai.

Now I understand the weather is extremely unpredictable and I can only get the information of the ferry of 2015 to guess the schedule of 2016 which is not published yet. And I can only get on the island if weather permits of course, and if there's a turn of weather even if I get on the island I might not even be able to get out of my hotel during the time I stay there.

But in case I am extremely lucky with the weather (no blizzards no storms etc, and good visibility), I would still like to go for the hiking trails, if that is possible.

My rough plan is:
D1: after checking in, go on the hike of the capes course in the north of Rebun;
D2: start early in the morning, taking the bus to Kafuka and hike the Momo-iwa course before leaving for Rishiri;
D3: I won't even attempt mount Rishiri for such a short period of time but I do want to be able to see it or some coast line etc.

I read from other people's experience that both trails on Rebun are about 4 hours, and I hope I have budgeted enough time for them.

And my questions are:
a. Are those trails even hike-able in winter (I read there are signs and trails are easily visible but every account is for summer hikes)? And do I need to make any arrangements for the hikes?
b. Anything I should be looking out for?
c. Without attempting any climbing on Mount Rishiri, any recommendation where I can get a good view of the mountain, the lake or anything else?

Thank you so much for your help!
by LJ (guest)  

Re: Winter hiking on Rebun and Rishiri Islands 2016/1/2 14:04
Hi, I think you're seriously underestimating the amount of snow that falls on Hokkaido in winter. Rebun is blanketed in a thick layer of snow all winter. Here are some photos from a Panoramio user documenting the hillsides covered in snow: http://www.panoramio.com/map/?user=1571368#lt=45.371277&ln=141.010378&...

Skis or snowshoes would be requisite equipment for overland travel in the parks in January.

Cheers!
by Teacher (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread