Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Footwear for Kamikochi 2015/10/26 18:19
I'm visiting in Japan during the first 2 weeks of November. I'll be spending a few days in the Alps including one night in Kamikochi.

I'll certainly be doing some walking whist there, but nothing particularly adventurous. Should I bring hiking books, or would a pair of running shoes be sufficient? I'd like to avoid the boots if possible, just because I suspect they wouldn't see much use during the rest of my trip (Tokyo, Kyoto, Miyajima, Hiroshima) but I also don't want to be inappropriately kitted out.
by y0cky  

Re: Footwear for Kamikochi 2015/10/26 19:25
I've not been there that late in the year so I have no idea what weather you can expect in Kamokochi in November, but there is an extensive network of footpaths that can certainly be conquered with normal walking shoes, etc. during the normal season. I would certainly recommend to walk way beyond the Kappabashi area (where most tourists appear to stay put) and walk all the way from Taisho ike pond to the Myojin bridge and back, so bring shoes you can comfortably walk in.

We got off at the Taisho ike bus stop as the traffic jam of buses entering the bus terminal was just a waste of time.
by Hoshisato rate this post as useful

Re: Footwear for Kamikochi 2015/10/26 22:30
Recommended hiking clothes, shoes and average temperatures can be found here: http://www.kamikochi.or.jp/english/
Note that Kamikochi closes for winter on Tuesday 15 November
by Hoshisato rate this post as useful

Re: Footwear for Kamikochi 2015/10/26 23:17
Thanks, that's very helpful.

We're staying right by the Taisho Pond so will get off there anyway, and we'll be there around 4th Nov but thanks for the warning about closure on 15th.

by y0cky rate this post as useful

reply to this thread