Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gabapentin (prescription) allowed in Japan? 2015/11/17 02:46
I will be moving to Japan next month and I just realized how strict Japan is with certain prescription drugs.

Is there a list of prescription medications that are and aren't allowed in Japan from the States? I want to be able to bring my Neurontin (Gabapentin) with me for my neurological pain. Or if there's a prescription drug that is similar in Japan? I'm having trouble finding a clear answer and I dot want to be held as customs for smuggling illegal drugs. :(
by Apollyon  

Re: Gabapentin (prescription) allowed in Japan? 2015/11/17 17:27
As far as I can look up, Gabapentin is prescribed in Japan for certain indications, (1) as supplementary drug against epilepsy in case other epilepsy drugs do not work, or (2) against restless legs syndrome.

So the substance itself is allowed.

It would be another question (seeing the current indications as above) whether you can get additional prescriptions at a Japanese doctor.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Gabapentin (prescription) allowed in Japan? 2015/11/18 10:06
It depends on how much of the medication you wish to take. The best place to ask is the Pharmaceutical Inspector's Office. You can do it via email.

yakkan@mhlw.go.jp

More information at:

http://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/policy/health-medical/pharmaceuticals/01...
by TF (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread