Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Himeji JR Kansai Wide Area Pass 2015/11/20 01:44
Hi guys,

I'm really confused about the whole JR Kansai Wide Area Pass and Shinkansen usage and just wanted to confirm.

I have to get from Kyoto to Himeji. How I understand it, I can't use the Shinkansen from Kyoto to Osaka, but I CAN use it to get from Shin-Osaka to Himeji. And in terms of trains I can use either Hikari or Sakura.
Kodama trains would work as well, but I still can't use that one from Kyoto to Shin-Osaka, right?

So if I take a LTD Express from Kyoto Station to Shin-Osaka, transfer to the Sakura-Shinkansen to Himeji, it would be covered by the pass, correct?

And if I, let's say, get on the Hikari-Shinkansen at Kyoto Station to Himeji, I would have to additionally pay for the distance from Kyoto to Shin-Osaka or how does that work?

Thanks a lot.
by Marcus (guest)  

Re: Himeji JR Kansai Wide Area Pass 2015/11/20 08:39
I'm really confused about the whole JR Kansai Wide Area Pass and Shinkansen usage and just wanted to confirm.

The basics are explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_08.html

I have to get from Kyoto to Himeji. How I understand it, I can't use the Shinkansen from Kyoto to Osaka, but I CAN use it to get from Shin-Osaka to Himeji.

Your understanding is correct.

And in terms of trains I can use either Hikari or Sakura.
Kodama trains would work as well

In addition, you can also use Nozomi trains. But note that you can only use unreserved seats.

but I still can't use that one from Kyoto to Shin-Osaka, right?

That's correct.

So if I take a LTD Express from Kyoto Station to Shin-Osaka, transfer to the Sakura-Shinkansen to Himeji, it would be covered by the pass, correct?

Yes, that is correct.

And if I, let's say, get on the Hikari-Shinkansen at Kyoto Station to Himeji, I would have to additionally pay for the distance from Kyoto to Shin-Osaka or how does that work?

Yes, you would have to pay the entire ticket cost for the shinkansen from Kyoto to Shin-Osaka, which is 1420 yen for an unreserved seat.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Himeji JR Kansai Wide Area Pass 2015/11/20 22:49
Great, thanks a lot for clarifying that.
by Marcus (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread