Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

15/16 day itinerary - are we missing out? 2015/11/21 19:45
Hi there! I am planning to visit Japan end of March 2016 for 15 or 16 days with my boyfriend and was wondering if you guys could help me with planning our trip.

We are interested in visiting temples, museums and learning more about the history of Japan, we love food and we're also wanting to go on nights out. Keeping the last bit in mind, we are reserving the two weekends in Tokyo and Osaka for bars and clubbing which means we'll have a little less time during the day for exploring the cities (since we'll wake up late in the mornings instead of getting up early in the day).

Our itinerary is as follows:

Monday - arrive at Narita airport. I read somewhere on this forum that getting out of the airport will take a long time, and you should make sure your landing time is before 10 pm to be able to get public transport into the city. Is that right? We haven't booked our flights yet but I believe most of our options is to arrive around 8.30–10.30pm. Our hotel is on walking distance from the JR Shinjuku train station.

Tuesday to following Monday - Tokyo.
We are staying a full week in Tokyo city because we don't want to rush ourselves and really take the time to explore the city in all its ways. We've both been wanting to visit Tokyo for years!

Any recommendations for lesser known things to do?

What day is best to visit the Ghibli Museum? Or will it be as busy every day?

Monday early afternoon: Kawaguchiko
- Kachi Kachi ropeway
- Renting a bicycle

We are actually looking for a nice, affordable (around \47,000) ryokan with a private open-air bath that fits two since we'll be wanting a nice relaxing night. Most ryokan in Kawaguchiko appear to only have small baths that fit one person, and we can't use a public one because of large visible tattoos. The private ones you can book at certain ryokan seem to only be available for an hour per couple.

Anyone got recommendations? Or will more ryokan open up for booking in the next couple months? We looked into Hakone (bigger private baths) as well since we're mainly going for the view of Mount Fuji but it seems more expensive there.

Tuesday to Friday: Kyoto
- Fushimi Inari Shrine
- Kinkakuji (Golden pavillion)
- Higashiyama district and the Kiyomizudera Temple
- Arashiyama, the bamboo grove, monkey park and maybe rent a boat or bicycle.
- Katsura Imperial Villa with garden
- Kokedera (Moss temple)
- Gion district, Hanami-koji street for geisha performances.
- Day trip to Nara to visit the Isuien Garden and Todaji Temple and to spend some time in the Deer park.

Do you recommend the Katsura Imperial villa? I think you have to pre-book a tour and I was wondering if it's worth it.

How long do you think we'll spend in Nara? Is 4 hours enough?

Friday to Monday: Osaka
- Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan
- National Museum of Art
- Abeno Harukas or Umeda Skybuilding
- Shitennoji Temple and garden
- Peace Osaka
- Sumiyoshi Taisha temple

We're wanting to stay at a Love Hotel on the Sunday night. Will we be able to find one on the night itself? Pre-booking them seems very expensive, and we're wanting a silly, special room. Our plan is to check out some Love Hotels around Namba station during the day, then go back at night to try and book the ones we liked (what time is best? 9pm? 10pm?).

Monday to Tuesday/Wednesday: back to Tokyo
We'll have one or two days in Tokyo before our flight from Narita airport.

We thought of taking day trips to Koyasan and Himeji Castle from Osaka/Kyoto but we don't really want to rush ourselves and miss out on things in both Osaka and Kyoto. Are we making the right decision by skipping those two?

Also, will we be able to find a good restaurant that serves Kobe beef in any of the cities or is it worth travelling down to Kobe?

We're open for any suggestions so I hope you guys can help us out! Thanks!
by Jade (guest)  

Re: 15/16 day itinerary - are we missing out? 2015/11/22 08:53
Definitely take the earlier flight, to allow yourself time to get through immigration and customs and to get to your hotel easily.

The two times I've been to Ghibli museum was on Saturdays, so I can't comment if weekdays are quieter. I'd just see what tickets you can get for that week as soon as possible, they can sell out quickly.

If you just want to see those three things, then four hours in Nara should be enough.

by Mon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 15/16 day itinerary - are we missing out? 2015/11/22 10:10
Airport congestion depends on many different variables; like the season, how many flights are landing around yours, the amount of manpower Immigration is putting out when you arrive, the number of flights that are landing late (or early), how smoothly other passengers are let through (or not), etc. One bonus is that many airlines are using 777s instead of 747s, so there are fewer people per flight.
If you can arrive earlier, then so much the better. You'll probably arrive a red-eyed zombie, so try to keep it easy on your first day. If you want a cheap way to get to Tokyo, look at the 1000 yen bus.
http://accessnarita.jp/en/home/
Or a Keisei+Metro Package might also save you some also.
http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/skyliner/us/special/index.html
Otherwise a 3 day subway pass is easy to make worthwhile if you are staying in Tokyo and going all over.
http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/value/travel/index.html#anc03
Studying some history is an excellent way to make your trip more meaningful. But you should do as much as you can before your departure - you will probably be active and not feeling like concentrating on reading a bunch of stuff while traveling.
You could certainly fill up a week just in Tokyo with a broad or well defined area of interests, but you'd be terribly amiss if you missed some good day trips while there - especially Kamakura/Enoshima, Nikko and Hakone or the Fuji 5 Lakes. There are regional passes for all.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357.html
For Kyoto, Kokedera is one of the most beautiful (and pricey) places to visit, but March is not the best time to go - you wouldn't see the beautiful emerald green scenery like you're probably picturing until June and later. You also have to make reservations way ahead of time (several weeks or months), and can't pick your own day or time. If you're going to see Arashiyama though, you should not miss the Otagi Nenbutsuji - it's one of the most whimsical places you will see in Japan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efvtB_5jmjA
For Nara, as said, 4 hours is more than enough for what you mentioned, and in fact it's well worth including some more. The Isuien Garden is the better of the two there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk-7IoLELio
but also comparatively expensive - you also might visit the Yoshikien Garden next to it which is free for international tourists (just show them your passport).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFWGuQ5Z0oI
Seeing the Kofukuji Temple is also very close and worthwhile, and it doesn't take long to see the Kasuga Shrine as well (and it's free).
For Osaka, I recommend seeing both the Osaka Sky Bldg and Abeno Harukas since the views are not at all the same. Some like one over the other (and the Sky Bldg costs less than half) but if the weather is good, both are very enjoyable - and don't miss Dotonbori at night either.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7LcPcmoSg-jkgQdiQlK2bcKCzr2pJQ...
You can easily see Himeji Castle (and don't miss the Kokoen Garden next to it) in half a day, and while you can see Koyasan as a day trip it is far better as an overnight stay. Don't skip either though - they are both very memorable.
A Sunday overnight at a love hotel is one of the less busy times - Saturday night is the worst. Try to go early though to increase your chances and selection.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread