Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Find a house to rent and other questions 2015/11/26 14:14
Hi people,

1. I have got an admit to a college in Nagoya, while the class starts from 2016 April I would like to look for a place to live before actually entering Japan.
Is it possible to make a rental contract before reaching Japan?
If yes, can you please let me know the company/agent names who can support me in this process.

2. Is it cheaper to rent an apartment with furnishings or would it be smart if I purchase second-hand items once I reach Japan.

3. Are there any student discounts for phone contract? Which is the best and cheapest phone rental?

Thanks in advance
by sakurako90  

Re: Find a house to rent and other questions 2015/11/26 17:49
1. You might want to contact the college you will be attending to see what kind of recommended student accommodation they might know of. Knowing you will be coming from outside Japan, they might be able to suggest some places that rent out to non-Japanese and have some furnished apartments.

If you want to find a temporary housing, you could look for "weekly/monthly apartments" online. With those you should be able to sign up before you come.

Whether you can directly deal with local agents and whether going for furnished or not furnished depends on how long you intend to stay.

What I mean is that usually "local" rent agreements come in terms of 2 years (renewable), with 2 months deposit and 2 month key money, 1 month rent to the agent as a fee, and you need to ask the university to act as a guarantor. And those properties tend to come unfurnished. Agencies that specialize in non-Japanese tenants might accommodate a shorter rent term, and they would have furnished apartments.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Find a house to rent and other questions 2015/11/26 21:08
1. You have to sign papers by yourself. Contact agents.
Right after examination result announcement (it must be Jan.), most of reasonable vacant rooms around universities/colleges get filled by new students.

2. It depends on rooms.

3. If you speak Japanese, the cheapest way is to get MVNO SIM card. If you don't check major 3 companies
http://www.softbank.jp/en/mobile/
https://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/
http://www.au.kddi.com/english/?bid=we-we-gn-0002
by amenoshita rate this post as useful

Re: Find a house to rent and other questions 2015/11/26 21:37
Thank you for you replies.

Amenoshita,

I have already gotten admission into one of the colleges. While I contact agencies like apaman shop and style estate, they informed that I should be in Japan to make the contract.

Do you know any agency that can help me sign a rental contract when I am still in my home country?

TIA
by sakurako90 rate this post as useful

Re: Find a house to rent and other questions 2015/11/26 22:24
You and your guarantor have to sign the contract papers. It is not policy of each agent, it is a common way in Japan.
Just like "..." said above, ask your college what other foreign students do.

Re: Find a house to rent and other questions 2015/11/26 22:38
Japanese law says the agent needs to explain about contract to the roomer face to face. After that you sign the contract. Usual agents will not let you make contract without this process.

Re: Find a house to rent and other questions 2015/11/27 02:13
You cannot sign a contract before coming to Japan. The best you could do is find a place you want, and arrange to do the contract and move in right when you get to Japan, but you would still need to book a hotel for a couple nights.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread