Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Currency Exchange at Narita charge any fees? 2015/12/9 15:28
Hi Everyone,

I'm travelling to Japan in a few days and I was wondering if anyone knew whether the currency exchange locations inside Narita airport charged any additional fees as a percentage or set fee for exchanging currency.

Thank you Kindly,
L.M
by Leanna Martin (guest)  

Re: Currency Exchange at Narita charge any fees? 2015/12/9 17:48
All exchange offices charge additional fees over the interbank rate, otherwise they would go out of business very soon. You can view their rates here: http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/exchange_e/
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Currency Exchange at Narita charge any fees? 2015/12/9 22:59
Thank you for the quick respone. I was wondering if there is a anything extra charged on top of the Exchange rate you see on the link you posted.

So assuming According to that link http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/exchange_e/index.html :

US dollar(US) USD Sell is: 125.70 Yen & Buy is : 119.95 Yen

If I exchange 1000 USD would I get "119,950 Yen" or will it be "119,950 - fee/extras"

Thank you
by Leanna Martin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Currency Exchange at Narita charge any fees? 2015/12/9 23:39
no extra fee.
125.75-123.95=1.80
1.80 yen is a fee.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Currency Exchange at Narita charge any fees? 2015/12/10 00:34
The official rate will always be between what they'll buy Dollars from you and what they'll buy Yen from you. That is the way they make their money. If the website says 119.50, that is what you will get per US Dollar.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Currency Exchange at Narita charge any fees? 2015/12/10 05:06
Thank you Very Much for clearing that up. Been extremely confused from reading posts about a handling fee which I thought would be extra.
by Leanna Martin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Currency Exchange at Narita charge any fees? 2015/12/10 11:12
Currency exchange kiosks in other parts of the world may charge handling fees, but that is not the typical practice in Japan. Instead, when changing money at currency exchange kiosks the fees are built into the rate itself .

Keep in mind, however, that if you are exchanging travelers checks then you'll have to take into account the service fees that you paid to obtain the checks in the first place. Also, there may be atm fees and foreign transaction fees if you are getting cash at an atm rather than an exchange office.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread