Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kamikochi 2016/2/18 11:18
I am planning to travel Japan Alps including the Northern Alps this fall (late November) around the week of 20th. I checked quite a few websites that the Kamikochi area will be closed on Nov 15. Could anyone please suggest some hiking/walking trails around Kamikochi that still open after Nov 15. And also I can still travel the full route Tateyama-Kurobe Route in late November, right?
by Debbie N. (guest)  

Re: Kamikochi 2016/2/18 14:08
I dont know how far you want to go, but I've had decent bushwalks within a few hours of Kamikouchi :
1. Takayama - the walk up the park to the top is actually good exercise and there are quite a few trails through the forest ()or maybe I just got lost and kept going in circles!). Up the top where the castle foundations are there is a nice place to sit and watch the birds flying around, they are real characters;
2. Karuizawa - at the top of the shopping street there is a walk through the forest a few km to a lookout at the border of the Gunma/Nagano provinces, and a decent temple just up the road from that. Actually I taxi'd to the temple and had the best dango ever at a nearby cafe before we walked back, and that worked pretty well. The walk is part of the Nakasendo highway;
3. There is always the Tsumago-Magome walk. It isnt majorly historical or anything but it is nice, and if you take the little detour off to see the waterfall the creek and fall is really pretty.

Kamikouchi is one of the places I really like (food, monkeys, and Onsen hotel are great - hoards of noisy tourists not so good!) though I didnt do any serious hiking while I was there. If I was to say which one of the above is closest to it in "feel" it would be the Tsumago - Magome walk.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread