Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

1.5 days for Otaru/Sapporo 2016/3/15 01:31
Hi folks,

I will be spending some time in Hokkaido this August. I may possibly have one free day where I will be heading to Sapporo from Biei, and then on the next day I have a 7pm flight from Chitose Airport.

I am thinking of spending most of that one day at Otaru, and then going back to Sapporo city for the night, and maybe checking out Odori Park or a shopping mall for general browsing the next day, before I head to Chitose Airport for check-in at 5.30pm.

I will be by myself, so I am trying to keep the plan simple in case I get lost (solo travel for the 1st time). My questions are:

- Is Otaru easy to navigate? Does it have many meandering side streets that will make it hard to find one's way back to the train station later?
- Accommodation-wise, I should probably find something near Sapporo Station for that one night? I assume it's easy to find food or convenience stores in that area?
- Should I get the one-day Sapporo-Otaru pass? By the time I arrive and check-in at Sapporo hotel from Biei, it is likely to be mid-day before I head to Otaru...or should I switch the plan around? Sapporo on 1st day, then leave my luggage with the hotel the next morning and head to Otaru?
- Does the 1-day Sapporo-Otaru pass cover travel to Chitose Airport?

Thank you for any advice.
by Kieryl  

Re: 1.5 days for Otaru/Sapporo 2016/3/15 09:48
I have been to Otaru Stn/canal area and i'd say its pretty straight fwd to navigate there by foot.
For starters, you can google for Otaru attraction map and as you can see all the streets are straight, 'somewhat' perpendicular to each other towards the bay.
However it also depends on what else you want to see/check out .
A day trip is doable.

As for the pass, it depends what you want to do in Sapporo as when i was in Sapporo, i pretty much move on foot. There are tramps but the pass only covers subways+JR.
Sapporo-Otaru 1way=640yen
by ejump0 rate this post as useful

Re: 1.5 days for Otaru/Sapporo 2016/3/18 01:10
if u have a small bag, then go directly to otaru, walk around after putting the bag in a station storage bin, and then sleep in sapporo so you have a full day in sapporo-depending on the date in august, most hotels are full because of the summer beer festival so make plans now
by sapporostan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1.5 days for Otaru/Sapporo 2016/3/27 07:38
When I went to Hokkaido I stayed in Sapporo for a few days, made a day trip to Otaru since it is close to Sapporo as well. Depending on what you want to see in Otaru I would also opt for a day trip is fine. It was rather easy to navigate too.

There are two convenient train stations, Otaru and Minami Otaru station. You could get off at either of them and return from the other if you don't want to backtrack.

There are touristy buses if I remember right, but I didn't use them as I am quite a walker myself.
by lordzubat rate this post as useful

reply to this thread