Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shin-Hotaka Ropeway - Kamikochi for 1st time 2016/4/19 06:32
Hi,

I'm planning to go to Okuhida for the Shin-Hotaka Ropeway, and then hike down to Kamikochi from the upper station, as suggested in this site. I have ff. questions:

1. Is it possible for a day trip, assuming I start from Takayama early in the morning? I'll probably rent a lodge somewhere in Kamikochi for the night.

2. How is the weather up there around mid-July? Is it still very cold? Do I have to worry about rains and/or strong winds?

3. Does the hiking trail down to Kamikochi get very crowded during mid-July? I read Kamikochi becomes very popular that time.

Thanks for any help,
by George (guest)  

Re: Shin-Hotaka Ropeway - Kamikochi for 1st time 2016/4/19 09:18
1. Is it possible for a day trip, assuming I start from Takayama early in the morning? I'll probably rent a lodge somewhere in Kamikochi for the night.

Yes, it takes about 4 hours if you just hike to the mountain hut and then down into Kamikochi. However, if you plan to summit any of the nearby peaks it will become a multi-day hike.

2. How is the weather up there around mid-July? Is it still very cold? Do I have to worry about rains and/or strong winds?

I can't find historical temperature data, but I would plan for strong winds and possible rain just in case. Kamikochi also tends to be quite cool, even in summer so light jackets might be needed there too.

3. Does the hiking trail down to Kamikochi get very crowded during mid-July? I read Kamikochi becomes very popular that time.

I wouldn't expect the trails down to be too popular. The valley floor is crowded, but 99% of the people do not venture beyond the well established trails.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread