Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best Places for mid-April Visit? 2016/4/26 14:13
Hello,

I will be attending a friend's wedding in Shanghai next year and I am planning to visit Japan for the third time either the week before or after my time in China. This would be either April 8th to the 14th (I am leaning towards these dates) or the 20th to the 28th. I realize that it would be better to go earlier, but the wedding is set and I cannot take off more than two weeks.

Previously, I have visited Osaka, Himeji, Kyoto, and Tokyo. Each had its own special quality and I enjoyed each immensely. This time around, I would be specifically chasing after the cherry blossoms and wisteria, so we are open to traveling anywhere from Osaka to Aomori if that is where the blossoms are. My thought currently is to arrive in Tokyo and immediately catch a Shinkansen north to either Aomori (or even Hakodate) or to Kanunodate, then return to the south after a few days. Where would you recommend as the best place where we are most likely to catch the sakura and wisteria during these two time frames?

Thank you in advance,

N

Also, where is this from? http://umad.com/img/2016/11/japan-spring-desktop-wallpaper-12458-12903...
by Fjallraven (guest)  

Re: Best Places for mid-April Visit? 2016/4/26 14:21
Looks like the pic is from a local spot in Yokohama. Here's the source:

https://500px.com/photo/30010679/hidden-gems-by-agustin-rafael-reyes?c...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Best Places for mid-April Visit? 2016/4/26 14:41
I went late April last year and had an awesome trip. We went as follows :
1. Bessho Onsen (still flowers blooming);
2. Karuizawa (quite cold but flowers finished);
3. Kyoto (overrun with tourists and painful, though some places were still good eg Fushimi Inari);
4. Kinosaki Onsen (really nice trip, quite scenic);
5. Enoshima (gets better every time we visit).

I'd also seen some flowers hanging on at Kamikouchi in May the year before.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best Places for mid-April Visit? 2016/4/26 15:23
You're unlikely to find both sakura and wisteria in the same trip; they bloom at different times. The earlier dates are better for sakura, later dates for wisteria (although this may still be too early for wisteria). Of course, blooming dates can change significantly; it tends to be late March to early April for the main tourist cities (Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka) but could be earlier or later depending on the year, and you won't know until just before blooming!
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best Places for mid-April Visit? 2016/4/27 15:02
So, it sounds like wisteria may be out of the picture as too early. However, based on these dates any recommendations of places in the Tohoku area that would be worth a visit (2-3 days) and likely to be in the middle of the sakura bloom?
by Fjallraven (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread