Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

1-day trip to Kyoto from Osaka-Namba 2016/5/18 01:31
Is it possible to visit the following places in a full day trip to Kyoto coming from Osaka-Namba:
1. Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion)
2. Arashiyama Bamboo Grove
3. Fushimi Inari Shrine
4. Gion - preferably the last place to visit

How many hours do we need to spend at each place?

What is the fastest way to go to each place by public transportation (if possible, covered by Kansai Thru Pass)?

Please provide tips for lunch and dinner. Thank you so much.
by me (guest)  

Re: 1-day trip to Kyoto from Osaka-Namba 2016/5/18 10:40
It is possible, but those places are all over the city so be prepared for a bit of travelling time.

Fushimi Inari is open 24/7, so if you can I'd get there quite early (e.g. 7/8 am) so you can be done there before the other attractions even open! You'll also avoid the worst of the crowds. Fushimi Inari probably needs about an hour if you're not going to do the hike up Mt. Inari (this would add another 1-2 hours, depending on your walking speed). It's easily accessed by train from Kyoto Station; just a couple of stops down the JR Nara Line.

Kinkakuji should be your next destination; again, to avoid the worst of the crowds the morning is best (though there will probably still be a lot of people). If you can, try to arrive here around opening time (9am, I believe). The most direct access is by bus as there is no nearby train line. I have no problem with the buses, but I know other people don't like them because they can be slow. To get here from Fushimi Inari, take the train back to Kyoto Station and then take a bus to Kinkakuji. Buses are well labelled with the tourist sights they pass by listed on the outside.

Not sure about the best way to get to Arashiyama from Kinkakuji, but there is a great public transport app for Kyoto called Arukumachi Kyoto. Depending on how much you want to see in Arashiyama, you could easily spend all day there! I highly recommend the Okochi Sanso villa, which is inside the bamboo grove; it's a beautiful garden designed by an actor in old samurai films. The entry price is expensive, but you get a cup of green tea and a sweet during your visit!

Gion is best visited in the evening, so good choice there. The Arukumachi app can tell you the best public transport option to get back to Kyoto Station from there.

by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1-day trip to Kyoto from Osaka-Namba 2016/5/18 22:14
I'm one of those people who doesn't always like the buses in Kyoto. Late in the evening or early in the day they are fine, around 3 or 4 in the afternoon they go about as fast I can walk or slower, especially near Gion.

From Kinkakuji you can walk about 1.8 km/1 mile to Kitanohakubaicho station and take the Keifuku line to Arashiyama station. You can also take I believe the 204 or 205 buses from Kinkakuji to the Kitanohakubaicho Station. I think the bus continues to closer to JR Emmachi Station where you can catch a train to JR Saga-Arashiyama Station. Emmachi station is 2.8 km from Kinkakuji. If you walk you can also visit Kitano Tenman-gu Shrine. The fastest way is probably taking a cab though.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: 1-day trip to Kyoto from Osaka-Namba 2016/5/19 00:03
I guess a bit rush.

1. Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion)
- it took me about 45 minutes to walk from entrance to exit.
- it closes at 5.00pm

2. Arashiyama Bamboo Grove
- it took me about 6 hours in Arashiyama and i couldn't even visit all temples or shrines. if you only want to visit the bamboo forest, 1 hour should be more than enough.

3. Fushimi Inari Shrine
- it takes me about 3.5 hours to walk up and walk down from the peak. the trail to the mountain (a lot of stairs) span about 4km.

4. Gion - preferably the last place to visit
- yes, Gion is good to visit in the evening. When I visited Gion at 8.00pm on Sat, most shops were closed already, except restaurants.

I took kyoto city bus to visit these 4 places last Sat and Sun. I might be lucky as the traffic was smooth. No jam at all
by Brennan1982 rate this post as useful

Re: 1-day trip to Kyoto from Osaka-Namba 2016/5/19 00:28
Thank you sq, rkold and Brennan1982 for your suggestions.
@Brennan1982, where did you go in Arashiyama that took you 6 hours?
by me (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread