Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shimanami Kaido - 1 day/night itinerary help 2016/6/1 02:40
Hi,

A friend and I are planning our first trip to Japan in early June and plan to rent bikes to take down the Shiminami Kaido.

Our current plan is to check out of our hotel from Miyajima on the Sunday morning and ferry/train across to Onomichi. This is where we're stuck with a bunch of options. We are planning to stay overnight somewhere along the path and depart the following morning (Monday) to Osaka.

We are both active cyclists who would be able to bike from Onomichi to Imabari and back no problem but do not want to spend too much time just cycling. We are looking to preferably just cycle one way and take the most convenient way back bus/ferry/etc.

Current options we are looking at:
1) Store luggage at Onomichi, bike down and stay somewhere on the path.
2) Book hotel at Onomichi, check in the morning of and leave our luggage there. Bike down and bus back.
3) Same as 2) but bus there and bike back

We would like to cover the most scenic parts of the trail which I have heard is the southern end and we're also worried about missing any of the buses getting back.

Just wondering if anybody has any recommendations for the bike trip and how much time to budget in terms of sights along the way. Is there any place that would stand out in terms of place to stay between Onomichi, Imabari, or somewhere along the path?

Thanks!
by Vinny (guest)  

Re: Shimanami Kaido - 1 day/night itinerary help 2016/6/1 21:49
Hi

I am also planning to bike the Shimanami Kaido this summer. If you plan to stop along the way, I found this website with information on ryokan and minshuku along the way:

http://www.gambo-ad.com/english/area.php?ar=12

I cannot help you for the rest as I will do the trip one way from Imabari to Onomichi. For the luggage, you can also send them to any place using the "takkyubin" system:
http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/en/personal/ta_q_bin/

You can ship your luggage everywhere in Japan for a reasonable price.

I hope this will help you
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread